1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV free weekend Jan 11-13: HBO, SHO, Starz, Cmax

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jan 10, 2013.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    DirecTV is having a Premium Channel Free Trial Weekend:

Jan 11-13, Channels 501-558
    HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax

2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I set up a few movies to record. So much for clearing off a bunch of movies over the holidays :)

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    They always seem to disappoint with their movie selections, but I'll check this time around to see if there is a least 1 decent new movie showing.

Thanks for the heads up.

4. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    So true. I always think that if they are trying to convince me to get some of the premium channels, they might want to put better movies on during the free weekends...

5. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Same here. I'll end up recording 4-5 movies out of all those channels, reminding me that I'm not missing much by not getting them. The occasional bright spot might be a movie that I'd never considered watching but only watch because it was right in front of me and turns out to be something I like.

For a while now the only reason to get HBO or SHO was for original programming, not for the movies.

6. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Many cable systems are doing this....ours is (Mediacom)...

And, yes, the movie selection for those four days is abysmal. I believe I'm recording maybe three, possibly four. But they're offering this free weekend also to showcase the season premieres of Californication, House of Lies, and several other series...

7. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Everytime they have one of these free weekends, I put it on and they almost always seem to have "Days of Thunder" on there. Although the free weekend is worth it on Showtime and Cinemax from say around 9pm to 12am PST on Saturday night. ;)

8. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I agree. I find any movie I record on HBO (the only premium I have) to be a bonus now. But I do watch quite a few of their series that I would miss if I let it go, and I enjoy an occasional boxing match from time to time.

9. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I've been meaning to cancel the premium channels I have for a week now. I'll record movies off HBO, they sit on my DVR for months and then I just delete them.

10. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I sure wish that the On Demand service for these channels was active during these free weekends. That would open up a bigger selection.

11. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    Anyone watch that Banshee show? Is it any good.

12. Adam1115

Adam1115 20,000!!! TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    It really pisses me off how bad DirecTV is at notifying their existing customer base about this stuff.

13. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    It was in an email from them. Maybe check your notifications settings at directv.com?

14. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    There were messages on all my DVRs about it, plus emails. No phone calls, text messages or snail mail though.

15. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member TCF Club

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I have to agree with The Flush - I received an e-mail from them and there were messages on all of my DVRs. Not sure how much more they need to do?

I certainly would NOT want to see a crawl at the bottom of my screen about this!

16. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    They always send the note via their "mail" features when you are viewing any channel. I also get text msgs.

17. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I knew about it in plenty of time to set up to record some movies. At least 3-4 days ahead, via HR2x messages and an email.