1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV Department of Customer Prevention turns on HDCP DRM

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by MikeAndrews, Apr 19, 2012.

1. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    [​IMG]
    Or cancel DirecTV and get the shows for free.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    It's not just DirecTV. More and more content owners, like HBO Networks, are requiring that HDCP be enabled. Get used to it.

3. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    it happened with directv 2pc years ago...

4. joed32

joed32 New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Why in the world would Directv care, it's HBO!

5. Adam1115

Adam1115 20,000!!! TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    I had no idea there were TVs that supported HDMI but not HDCP!

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    There are a lot of older TVs that support HDMI but their HDCP implementation is buggy. This is the cause of a lot of compatibility issues.

7. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Even with NEW HDTVs, HDMI is a SNAFU. You'll occasionally or more often have cases where you have a blank screen. It's intended to drive you nuts, and for the less informed, to call for support and repair and waste money, when power cycling, yes, REBOOTING your TV will fix it. I wonder how many support techs and repair outfits laugh when "the problem went away all by itself," acting like the customer is nuts.

HDCP is a built-in by design DEFECT that the consumers pay for - over nad over - and it serves NO consumers.

8. rhuntington3

rhuntington3 Howdy!

May 1, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I have not noticed any problems with my setup.

9. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    And the stupid part is HDCP can be defeated with widely available boxes that spoof handshaking that cost less than $50. This action, once again, only hurts legitimate customers, not pirates.

10. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Agreed. It's very stupid.

11. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    I'm sure this was implemented as part of a contractual agreement with the content providers...

Too bad they didn't consult anyone about that new ad they're running with a customer blowing up an attorney's home, either...it just ran on Comedy Central while I was typing this...

12. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Please. Support calls cost the manufacturer.

It's consumer-hostile by design, yes, built only to serve/placate Hollywood. But it is actually meant to work.

13. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I wonder how many Rupees / hour they pay the support personel?

Well, that's reassuring. :rolleyes:

14. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    There is a benefit to HDCP - it encouraged content providers to make programming available through new methods, such as BluRay and HD downloads. Without it, you might not have all the HD content you enjoy today.

15. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I don't buy BluRay discs and I don't download HD content. I have little intertest in the vast majority of the programming that has been made available via new methods. How is HDCP a benefit for me?

16. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It may not be a benefit to you, it is to others.

17. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    BS. What encouraged more HD content was that it sells, and gave the industry yet another way to get paid for the same content again.

That argument is pure propaganda, as is that piracy is costing them a fortune. Joe Six Pack doesn't where how to get pirated content.

The MPAA loves harassing the very consumer who choose to pay them -*with unskippable warnings and previews on purchased DVDs, HDCP,and PSA telling the paying audience at the movie theater that they need to pay for movies.

18. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I disagree that it is "pure propaganda". You are welcome to believe otherwise. I make no statements about piracy.

19. litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    It doesn't really matter what we think about HDCP. Hollywood obviously likes it and is insisting on service providers like DirecTV to begin using it. Only an act of Congress could change this, and that's not likely.

20. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Actually, the issue here is the "Image Constraint Token" (ICT), which if present, enforces the HDCP-only connection. Congress blocked content providers from requiring ICT be set for several years, but that expired.