1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV ads featuring Tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by 6stringbass, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Jul 8, 2013 #1 of 12
    6stringbass

6stringbass Music + Tivo R Good!

Dec 10, 2005
    Atlanta, Jawja
    For what it's worth....I just watched a DirecTV television ad touting the differences between Dish and DirecTV. After the quality superiority they then touted that DirecTV had DVRs running Tivo software. Not just a small mention but one of the primary points of the ad. Maybe since they are loudly pointing Tvo out they will take better care of their firmware! One can hope.

Steve

2. Jul 8, 2013 #2 of 12
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I am not sure this means anything really. Occasionally DirecTV send me email ads promoting the new DTiVo, though I already have one. My guess is that there is some minimal level of marketing specified in the contract between DirecTV and TiVo.

3. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i suspect tivo shared costs with dtv for the co-branded ad, it's not uncommon.

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Does it mention the interface on the Dtivo from 2007? Or the missing features from an actual TiVo? Or that's it's worse than a Hr10-250 from 2006?

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It's not worse than an HR10.

6. RickySharon

RickySharon New Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Does anyone like the new tivo ?

7. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I doubt it. DirecTV's contract with TiVo requires them to spend a certain amount promoting the DirecTV TiVo product.

8. wedenton

wedenton Member

Jun 12, 2002
    I like mine. I don't need anything other than basic DVR record/playback functions. A recent SW update now allows the 30 second skip to be enabled. Hard drive upgrade is very simple. The peanut remote is wonderful. If the thing worked with TiVo Desktop it would be perfect (for me).

9. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Overall I like mine, I have 2 of them. There are obvious features I wish it had. But the features it does have that the normal DTV DVRs have makes up for it.

10. 6stringbass

6stringbass Music + Tivo R Good!

Dec 10, 2005
    Atlanta, Jawja
    So far I'm happy with mine. I'm happy that the 30 second skip does work. Just wish it would flip tuners with the down arrow as well as the live tv button (an hour buffer would be good too). Is it perfect? No, but I just spent 6 days at my mom's house. She has a DTV DVR (same hardware at the Tivo box) and I hate the DTV firmware and the DTV remote. It doesn't do skip...and that drives me nuts (no DTV DVR does...why? Even Comcast DVR's do that). Say what you want about the DTV Tivo but I'll take it over the DTV stuff anyday.

11. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Sure it does. But just like the Tivo, you need to enter a backdoor command to get it to work. Just go search for a program and type

30SKIP

or maybe it's

SKIP30

can't remember. But it works, at least on the HR2* series. Not sure about the newer Genie and client boxes.

12. joed32

joed32 New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Keyword search.