1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirectTV with a "regular" Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jeffmikers, Jan 11, 2013.

1. jeffmikers

jeffmikers New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    I've got a Tivo Premier and have a cable card from my old cable provider. No problems.

I moved in with someone that already has DirectTV service. I wanted to get an acecss card for my Premier, so it can work with DirectTV.

Customer support at DirectTV is telling me it's not going to work. I've got to have the "special" DirectTV Tivo.

Is there any truth to this? Am I up a river? How do you get a "regular" Tivo to work with DirectTV?

Thanks all!

2. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    You can't, the CSR at DirecTV was telling the truth. You can use the Tivo as an OTA dvr though. And why didn't you return the cable card?

3. jeffmikers

jeffmikers New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    *had a cable card

Sorry. It's early.

Thx for the reply. Not what I wanted to read, but I knew it was coming.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    A cable card won't let you connect a satellite dish to a TiVo and tune in satellite channels, it'll only let you connect cable and tune cable channels.

Older standalone TiVos (non-DirecTiVos) could work with satellite receivers or cable boxes and had an IR port to connect an IR blaster cable so the TiVo could send channel change commands to the satellite receiver or cable box, but the Premiere isn't designed to do that.