1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directivo satellite gear upgrade

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rbrown3rd, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jan 6, 2013 #1 of 11
    rbrown3rd

rbrown3rd Dedicated DTivo'er

Oct 23, 2001
    West Palm...
    I started another thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9459238#post9459238 where I asked for help about some odd behavior by my very old DSR6000 DirecTivo DVR. Considering the ages of all my gear I'm guessing the best answer is an upgrade. I'm concerned about making a mistake by just taking the standard offer by DirectTV since I am a stickler for picture quality. I would appreciate any advice as to what I should ask for. A call to DirecTV resulted in an offer to upgrade for a net cost of $19.95 but I didn't get any receiver model numbers. Any advice regarding upgrades?

2. Jan 6, 2013 #2 of 11
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The important question to ask yourself is: "How important is the TiVo UI to me?". If the TiVo UI is more important than everything else, then order the new DirecTV TiVo (THR22). There is an additional $5/month charge for this. Otherwise, I recommend asking for the HR34, aka "Genie" - the best of the DirecTV-Plus DVRs. If you don't ask for either of these, then you'll get "whatever's on the truck" for a model. The deal you were offered was "pot luck" on the model, except it won't be either the HR34 or THR22. You could get anything from an HR20 through an HR24.

Picture quality isn't a differentiator here - they're all the same in that regard. You lose many features by opting for the THR22, such as 3D, network apps, streaming and VOD (despite what DirecTV says - VOD doesn't work on the THR22.)

Within the HR2x models, they differ in disk size and UI speed. The HR24 is best among these.

Are you planning on keeping any of the SD DTiVos? If so, then that limits you somewhat as you can't use a dish with an integrated SWM (single wire multiswitch). The HR34 requires a SWM setup. One can get a separate SWM module with "legacy" outputs, but this will cost you.

3. Jan 6, 2013 #3 of 11
    Thom

Thom Active Member

Jun 5, 2000
    Whittier,...
    In a genuine TiVo DVR (both satellite and standalone), the Season Pass Manager can have a LOT of Season Passes and Wishlists to search for in the guide data.

In a DirecTV satellite DVR, the equivalent of the Season Pass Manager limits you to a maximum of 50 different items to search the guide data for. I'm told this limitation also applies to the THR22 DVR, which is a DirecTV DVR with a thin veneer of TiVo user interface overlayed on the core DirecTV DVR function.

4. Jan 6, 2013 #4 of 11
    rbrown3rd

Oct 23, 2001
    West Palm...
    Thanks very much. That is exactly the info I was looking for.

5. Jan 7, 2013 #5 of 11
    bigpuma

bigpuma Active Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA

I believe The DirecTV Genie (HR34) has a limit of 100 series, while the other DirecTV DVRs do have the 50 series limit.

6. Jan 7, 2013 #6 of 11
    stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No limit on the THR22. The core software is very different from the HRxx series.

7. Jan 8, 2013 #7 of 11
    Thom

Thom Active Member

Jun 5, 2000
    Whittier,...
    Stevel -

Are you sure of that? I'm fairly sure that I've read elsewhere on TiVocommunity that the THR22 is limited. If I'm wrong, then I'll change my DirecTV DVRs to THR22s.

Thom

8. Jan 8, 2013 #8 of 11
    stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I have never seen anything to suggest otherwise. I don't have that many Season Passes on mine, but the 50 limit is related to the DirecTV-Plus software and there's no reason for it to be artificially added to the TiVo software.

Edit: Checked dbstalk and confirmed the THR22 has no limit. See http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/Tivo First Look.pdf

9. Jan 8, 2013 #9 of 11
    rbrown3rd

Oct 23, 2001
    West Palm...
    Only one in the RV.

10. kaszeta

kaszeta Fjohürs Lykkewe TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    Confirmed (Well, I can at least confirm that the HR34 allows 63 series, since that's how many I currently have)

If one wants to stay with DirecTV, I honestly recommend the HR34 over the Tivo offering, since it's so much more feature rich.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I told you to put your question where the right guys would notice. :)

Although you might want to wait to see if classicsat chimes in.