1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTivo rebooting daily - started this week

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by CTB6, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Oct 28, 2010 #1 of 363
    CTB6

CTB6 New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hi all. I have a Series 2 Hughes DirecTivo that had the hard drive upgraded years ago. Been working fine for many years. Starting this week, it reboots every day. I would put the unit on standby in the morning, then come home from work and turn it on. After about 3 key presses, it would lock up and then reboot. It did this 3 days in a row. Today I left it on rather than go to standby. When I got home, I mistakenly hit the standby button to turn it on out of habit, and when I did, the darn thing rebooted.

It doesn't seem like it should be a HD problem, as it won't do it again until tomorrow. Maybe I'm wrong, tho. Any ideas? I have software 6.4a-01-2-151 on the machine.

Thanks for any input - this is really getting annoying.

2. Oct 28, 2010 #2 of 363
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    It's probably the hard drive.

3. Oct 28, 2010 #3 of 363
    AwesomeDale

AwesomeDale New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    My receiver is the DirecTivo Series2 model R10, and it's never been modified. I have the same software version (6.4a-01-2-521). The exact same thing has been happening to my receiver, and it just started within the last week. It seems to be resetting itself when I try to go to the main menu. It doesn't happen every time, but it's been doing it at least twice a day while I'm watching TV.

I figured it was related to a recent software update, but I talked to DirecTV tech support, and they said the last software update for this box was back in June. They did say that a low power condition could be causing the problem...like maybe when it goes to the menu, the box needs more electricity and it's not getting it. I don't know why something like that would just start happening, but I might try replacing my surge suppressor or hooking up a battery backup to make sure it's getting consistent power.

4. Oct 29, 2010 #4 of 363
    jaydro

jaydro Senior Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I'm having the same issue, and I think it's tied to receiving messages from DirecTV. They're coming pretty often now (it seems), and it seems that either trying to read one or accessing some menu after reading one results in a spontaneous reboot. I don't think it's a failing hard drive or power supply issue, as I've gone through those scenarios before and this one seems darn peculiar. Recording programs or watching recordings is unaffected (other than if the spontaneous reboot happens to interrupt them--I don't read a new message now until it's safe to do so). Okay, so maybe there are a bunch of bad blocks on the disc where messages are stored, but I'm thinking it's not that since at least two others are experiencing spontaneous reboots, too, though maybe it's all just coincidence.

5. Oct 29, 2010 #5 of 363
    litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    It's been nearly two years since v6.4a came out. There was no new update last June.

6. Oct 29, 2010 #6 of 363
    CTB6

CTB6 New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    One of my reboots was most definitely when I tried to access one of the 5000000 messages that DTV has been sending out lately. Interesting to see that others are seeing this as well.

7. Oct 29, 2010 #7 of 363
    bearbig

bearbig Member

Jan 25, 2007
    ME too. My RCA DVR 80 has rebooted at least 3 times in the past week . If I remember correctly, always while watching recorded shows. I do not believe hardware is the problem.

8. Oct 29, 2010 #8 of 363
    Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness Won't hurt a bit

Oct 22, 2010
    Mine is rebooting often too, several times a day sometimes.
    I assumed it was a progression of my Tuner 2 pixellation/power capacitor problem,
    but maybe not, eh.

Gah.

Say - I thought putting one's unit on "Standby" was for the purposes of using your TV with other inputs (like when you would like to watch old fashioned antenna TV programming),
    but is it a way to ... almost turn the box OFF, thereby keeping it cool, and it works less hard?

I always wondered why the darned things don't have ON and OFF, period.

9. Oct 29, 2010 #9 of 363
    codespy

codespy Go A-Rod (Packers)

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    I always had problems in the past with 6.4a on my TiVo's when DirecTV was pushing out new SW downloads to their DirecTV branded boxes. And they just pushed another one out this week (yesterday morning).

Whether its coincidence or not, I have documented it in the past.

10. Oct 29, 2010 #10 of 363
    allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    I've had the same problem. Several times, I'd try to read a message, the Tivo would freeze for a second, then reboot. Now I don't read messages while the Tivo's recording.

11. Oct 29, 2010 #11 of 363
    KSbugeater

KSbugeater Moved on to HR2x

Jan 26, 2006
    Royals country
    My HR10 has been rebooting more than once a day lately, but I assumed it was the hard drive going bad. Now that I read about other DirecTiVos rebooting, I'm not so sure.

I will say I haven't noticed a connection to messages. On Wednesday, it rebooted three times while I tried to watch a recording of the Wisconsin-Iowa SD ESPN game from Saturday. That's where I got the hard drive idea. We surely didn't get 3 DirecTV messages within an hour on Wed morning around 10 AM ET?

12. Oct 29, 2010 #12 of 363
    tigercat74

tigercat74 Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Aug 7, 2004
    Waverly, OH
    Count me in as one of my TIVOs has rebooted twice while trying to read a message.

13. Oct 29, 2010 #13 of 363
    litzdog911

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Good point. Seems that DirecTV is again streaming the v6.4a Tivo software, so this may indeed have something to do with the reboots. Of course, if the folks seeing reboots had older software, then a reboot would be expected as the Tivo updates to the v6.4a software.

14. Oct 29, 2010 #14 of 363
    Ballinger

Ballinger New Member

Sep 8, 2008
    My HR10-250 has been rebooting a lot lately too. Sometimes several times a day. It did it again tonight when I went to the menu. I also come home from work and the darn thing is locked up, requiring me to power down the receiver and plug it back in.

15. Oct 29, 2010 #15 of 363
    Ballinger

Ballinger New Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I got on here tonight looking for information to replace my hard drive, thinking this was the problem. I still may have a hard drive issue since play back of some recordings are are starting to skip and have dead spots on sound. Thoughts? Replace hard drive or not?

16. Oct 30, 2010 #16 of 363
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It's an easy enough thing to do - certainly more so than the alternatives.

17. Oct 30, 2010 #17 of 363
    CTB6

CTB6 New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Mine was going fine today (I intentionally left it on yesterday) until I tried to examine my "to do" list. Then the pause and deadly lockup/reboot began. I'm still waiting for the *#&%^ thing to come back to life. This is really annoying.

18. Oct 30, 2010 #18 of 363
    CTB6

CTB6 New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Along those lines, mine is now doing that on one of the tuners on the composite output. The S-Video output became unusable a year ago, and now this one is, too. :(

19. Oct 30, 2010 #19 of 363
    ukerin

ukerin New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    I have a Phillips series 2 DSR-708 mine has also been reebooting several time a day .Seems to be doing it more when I am recording something I thought maybe it was because my Now playing list is to full .But I have been getting a ton of messages from Tivo this week.One think I wanted to ask about would upgrading the hard drive help at all.

20. Oct 31, 2010 #20 of 363
    hp-1

hp-1 New Member

Sep 29, 2008
    It's definitely not hardware.

I have two DirecTivo Model R10's and one RCA DVR39, and all three will reboot if there is a message and I try to either look at the to-do list or try to read the message(s).

This started around the first of the week (last Sunday or Monday). I have the 6.4a-01-2-521 software. I don't know when it was installed.

After the reboot, there are no messages waiting and the To-Do list works normally. At some point the messages reappear and then it will do the reboot thing if I try to read them.

Gonna call DirecTV tomorrow and see what they say.