1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Antenna Bunny Ears & Series3 Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Jragyn, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Jragyn

Jragyn New Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Hi everyone. I'm new here to the forums and can't find this question asked before on here. I could use all the help I could get.

I recently dropped DirecTV and have been receiving only live TV via digital antenna bunny ears for months. I'm finding it harder and harder to be okay with having to watch my shows live because I'm unable to record them and I hate that I can't pause and rewind live tv. I'm looking into buying a used TiVo on eBay. I have some questions about functionality.

I'm looking at a Series3 (service number starts with 652), and I understand that this unit IS compatible with OTA digital antenna WITHOUT needing a converter box.

1) Is this correct?
    2) With digital antenna as my ONLY input on a Series3, can I still record 2 shows at a time and watch one that's already recorded? Or is it different? What are the limitations when using antenna only?

3) If I went with a Series2 instead (service number starting with 540), I would still need a converter box, right?
    4) Series2 is not HD, right?
    5) How many shows at once on antenna only on a Series2?

6) Is there a different series of TiVo you think would work better for me using digital antenna instead of Series3 (or Series2)?

Thanks for any info you guys can share.
  2. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
  3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Series 2 requires the digital converter box to record from antenna and only on 1 channel.

Series 3 (models TCD648, TCD652, and TCD658) and Premiere (models TCD746320, TCD746500, TCD748000) does record from 2 channels at once from antenna or cable or from 1 of each.

But, Premiere 4 (TCD750, TCD758) can only work on digital cable, no antenna.
  4. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
  5. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural New Member

Feb 2, 2006
    There is another option is you're so inclined. You can get a dual ATSC tuner card from AverMedia or Hauppauge for your PC and use Windows Media Center (included as part of Windows 7) to record your OTA programs (cost is approx $50 - 100 on ebay). No Tivo fees to pay and the guide data is free. You could buy a used SiliconDust HDHomeRun ATSC dual networked tuner on ebay for less than $50 and share it with any PC in your house.