1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences between Series 3 models

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by habibrobert, Jul 18, 2013.

1. habibrobert

habibrobert New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Hello,

I was wondering what the difference is between the TCD65216 and the TCD648250B. Do both have slots for a cable card? I was looking at pictures of the TCD652160 and it did not see a cable card slot in the back. Did I miss it, or is there really one not there?

Also, which model is the more recent model? Or did they come out at the same time?

I am just trying to see which model is the "best model" for watching and recording HD tv. In your guys' opinion, which one is the better model to get (regardless of HDD size).

Thanks

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    The 648 is the original Series 3 with the OLED display on the front. Its biggest limitation is that you have to have 2 cable cards even if they are M cards.

The 652 is the "HD". It only needs one M card.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    The 652 has its CableCard slots in the front, behind a door.

Everyone said, "Hey, that's much better!" But then they moved the (now single) slot back to the back on the Premiere. Go figure.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    How are you getting your TV programming - Cable or OTA (antenna)?

If cable, keep in mind that the 648 (Series 3 w/OLED) requires 2 (M or S) cable cards to get both tuners working.
    The second card needed may cost you extra $/month, which adds up over time.
    The 652 (TivoHD) only requires one M card.

If OTA, it is rumored that the 648 is better than the 652 with regards to OTA tuning capabilities, but I don't think it is significant enough to pick one over the other. Others with both units will have to chime in on that one.

Finally (not really worth mentioning IMO), the 648 is THX certified while the 652 is not.
    All this means is the 648 was put through tests to confirm that it performs to THX standards (audio/video quality, noise factor, etc.).
    But it doesn't mean that the 652 would not pass those same tests.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Power supply failures due to "Capacitor Disease" (bulging electrolytic capacitor cans) are occurring for all Series 3 models. However because of the earlier times that 648's were made, which matched the peak of bad capacitor supply, I believe the odds are worse for those models.

Any Series 3 should have the PS inspected for bulging capacitors and those caps should be replaced. Here's what bulging looks like:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8750894#post8750894
    (Post #2)
    There's lots of help for replacing caps on this forum.

6. habibrobert

habibrobert New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Thanks for all the great info guys. So it seems like the best option for me is the 652. I am going to be using Comcast as my service provider and I would rather stick with a DVR that requires only 1 cable card.

Its ironic that the 648 is THX certified, but the 652, is not even thought it is HD!

Also, thank you very much for link to the cap replacement thread.

How much should a 652 cost these days? I just want to make sure I'm not going to overpay.

One last question, I know this probably is a dumb question, but what does OLED mean? I know what LED is, but when you put the O in front of it, I get confused!

Thanks!

7. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    The 658 TiVo HD XL is THX certified.

8. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

If you buy a Series 3 with a lifetime sub it's worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. My cutoff point would be around $300. You're paying for the sub, not the TiVo itself which is basically worth shipping costs these days.

As dlfl noted the power supply is probably "iffy", and as steve614 says the 648s had a great OTA tuner.

I'd buy a Premiere instead.

9. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I would too. As cable companies switch to MPEG4, the Series 3 boxes will become worthless.

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    The "O" stands for Organic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    If my TWC ever does that (doubtful), and it means no more Tuning Adapter (hopefully), I'll joyfully upgrade to a current TiVo model.

12. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    ??? What's up with this? I was thinking my HD would last me until death. I'd hate to have to die soon to make my theory correct.

13. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Apparently, the Series 3 Tivos can not receive H.264 (Mpeg 4) channels.
    You only have to worry about it if your cable company starts delivering channels in H.264.

14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    None of the S3s need cable cards if you're still on analog cable.

For digital cable, however, they do.

And of course if your cable company does SDV on some channels you'll need a Tuning Adapter as well (and possibly a lamp timer to turn the TA off in the middle of the night so the TiVo can do Garbage Collection).

15. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    As long as you rely on an anntenna and the internet, you should be ok. Who needs cable tv bills anyway.

16. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    TWC could just drop the analog channels and they would have plenty of bandwidth to carry every HD channel without the tuning adapter. When they took over Insight Cable here in Louisville, it had already been switched to an all-digital system, not requiring tuning adapters. We have the same exact channels as TWC had in Dallas (minus the analogs), but without the tuning adapters.

17. habibrobert

habibrobert New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    What is your guys' opinion on the 658? Is it just a 652 with a bigger hard drive? I have looked around online for the price and there seems to be a pretty big price difference between the 658 and 652.

18. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The 658 is just a souped up 652 with a larger hard drive and THX certification (IIRC).

19. Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I'm not too worried about MPEG-4 right now, at least on Comcast Houston. They've eliminated every single analog channel, except for one that advertises Xfinity. This freed up tons of bandwidth for dozens of new HD channels (in MPEG-2) and faster cable modems, without having to resort to SDV/tuning adapters.

The analog shut off required them to spend millions on DTAs (which are cheap), so they probably don't want to spend more millions on replacing every single non-DTA cable box (which are not as cheap).

All of these things are good, because if the only thing keeping them from switching MPEG-4 was the concerns of Series3 TiVo owners, then we (all 90 of us or so, who knows) would be screwed.

Even if they arbitrarily decided tomorrow to spend another tens of millions of dollars replacing HD boxes, they could convert *only* the HD channels to MPEG-4, because the million or so SD DTAs they just bought and gave away are only capable of MPEG-2!

20. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    Just a heads-up that those "free" digital adapters they give out after the switch to all-digital are only free for a limited time. I think in my case it was somewhere between 1 and 2 years. They're now charging $2/month, plus they're adding "additional outlet" charge of $10/mo for every extra digital adapter you have.

It turns out that "analog hole" was also letting money escape! But not that they're all digital, revenues are through the roof. Hooray, monopoly! ;)