1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Didn't need to pair THD cable card with new Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by SnakeEyes, Feb 9, 2014.

1. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    So i just got a new Roamio Plus to upgrade from my TiVo HD. So I took the cable card from the THD and put it in my new Roamio and was starting to call my cable company when a picture came through. I checked a variety of channels in different packages to make sure every channel that could be coming through was. I then took it and put it back into the HD and it still worked just fine without needing to call the cable company to pair again. I thought cards needed to be paired and paired again when moved into a new device.

2. ncfoster

ncfoster Member

Jan 22, 2011
    My experience (and that of others that I have seen) seems to be that if you don't have premium channels like HBO, etc., you may not need to do a re-pairing, at least on Comcast. Not sure what THD is, though.

3. chrispitude

chrispitude New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    I did this with RCN and thought everything worked properly. But, a handful of channels did not. They were random channels - like a broadcast FOX station and some other non-notable channels.

I called in to RCN and he did indeed verify that my card needed to be repaired. After reading a couple of CableCard values to them, all my channels worked perfectly.

4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Every cable company seems to be different in which channels require pairing to receive and which do not. For example, on Time Warner you can only get local broadcast channels without pairing, whereas on Comcast you only need to do pairing to get premium channels.

5. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    I moved a card from a TiVo HD to a Roamio a couple of weeks ago and everything seemed to work fine without repairing. I do not subscribe to any premium channels.

This is Comcast so I decided to try On Demand and got the CableCard screen so I'm thinking I might call tomorrow and see if repairing it fixes that.

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    For Motorola cablecards as long as the card is authorized it will decrypt any non CCI protected channel without having to be paired. It's copy protected channels with non-zero CCI byte such as HBO that require card to be paired (you will get the pairing nag screen when tuning those). So yes, they can be moved around without pairing if you don't care about copy protected channels.

7. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    I called the Comcast CableCARD number this morning 877-405-2298 to get the card I'd moved from my TiVo HD to the Roamio paired. All went well and only took a few minutes. All my channels were working before, but I was hoping this would get Video On Demand working.

I thought it was fixed since I could now get to a VOD shows (I got the CableCARD info screen before) and it starts to play, but freezes after a few seconds.

After reading the threads here on the forum about getting this working I'm not sure I want to play roulette with Comcast support trying to get it fixed.