1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diagnosing Recording problems

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by StorkInSJ, Sep 12, 2016.

1. StorkInSJ

StorkInSJ New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Boulder...
    Hi folks,
    I am using the THR22 DirecTivo with my DirecTV and NFL sunday ticket.

Unfortunately, more often than not, football just fails to record.

Obviously this happens when I'm not home to diagnose the problem.

When a show fails to record, It is removed from the Todo list, and nothing shows up. Settings and messages doesn't show me any errors.

There MUST be a way to see what happened. If so, the AT&T/DirecTV folks have no clue.

What is the most common way to look for problems that occurred in the past?

If there is no way to do this with TiVO (and we're obviously talking about a slightly older version of TiVO here)...

Some ideas:
    1) I hear this is no long possible, but can I SSH or telnet in? If so I could look for messages in /var/log
    2) Is there any chance they left a syslog server configured? If so I can make a local DNS server point to my own linux box so I can start looking at logs
    3) Is there some way I can log into my AT&T account to see what happened?
    4) Maybe someone on the forum has figured out a way to diagnose that most of the support Reps have no clue about.

Thanks for any and all help.

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Is it failing to record any other shows?

Does this model TiVo have a "View Recording History" at the top of the To Do List page?

Have you checked the power supply capacitors lately?

3. StorkInSJ

StorkInSJ New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Boulder...
    Bingo! Weird place for it. Solved the problem sort of...

It said it would fail to record the shows due to disk space. Unfortunately, I had just deleted about 100 hours of programming and they were still sitting around in "recently deleted". I like the idea of quarantining them for a little while... but NOT IF YOU NEED SPACE FOR RECORDING!!! :)

Doh! Thanks, this did the trick for diagnosing.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Shows in "recently deleted" are candidates for automatic removal, but the decision about disk space is made when the show is originally set to record, it doesn't keep checking later.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    And at least on some S2s the TiVo will erase a recently recorded non-KUID show from Now Playing to make space for a subsequent recording before it will permanently delete anything from Recently Deleted, even if the thing it doesn't permanently delete from Recently Deleted has been sitting there for months.

Which is why I clean out the Recently Deleted folder on a fairly regular basis.