1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dexter S08E11 "Monkey In a Box" 2013-Sep-15

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by john4200, Sep 16, 2013.

1. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I was enjoying this episode until the last 5 minutes. And then the writers go and ruin it AGAIN by dumbing Dexter down and making a totally contrived situation. Sure, I get it that Dexter did not feel the need to kill Saxon. But nevertheless, killing Saxon was the only smart thing Dexter could possibly do. Saxon knows way too much to risk what he might say if he is arrested, even if Dexter is out of the country. I was expecting Dexter to say, "I don't need to kill you, but of course I will anyway."

And then there is Deb, she has the gun pointed right at Saxon from 10 feet away, while Saxon has the gun at his side. And yet Saxon manages to move his arm up and take a shot at Deb before she manages to move her trigger finger? Sheeesh.

A smaller issue, but still a symptom of the bad execution this show has had this season -- when Dexter was getting all traces of himself out of Vogel's apartment, opening all the drawers, going through the files, etc. -- he was not wearing gloves. Arghhh!

2. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    It's a shame to see such a brilliant show ending with such a lame season. The reality is that the show probably overstayed its welcome by several seasons, but this final season just seems kind of tacked on and forced.

3. rahnbo

rahnbo Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Florida
    Just had to LOL at the file shredder... again and would still love to know why they insist on putting front side license plates on every car.

4. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I was Ok with Dexter not killing Saxon, that was to show he was moving beyond his compulsion to kill. What I wasn't Ok with was leaving him there and just telling Deb to take care of it. Was she going to tell her backup that she strapped him to the bed rather than just handcuffing him? Was she going to remove him from the bed and handcuff him solo in the time between calling for backup and help arriving? It seemed clear that a pissed off serial killer in a room with knives wouldn't be easy to deal with.

5. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    I hate the way this is ending. It seems so inconsequential to the rest of the series.

The whole ending seems based on whether Hannah will be caught or not.

It seemingly has nothing to do with Dexter being a serial killer.

I continue to believe the rightful ending of the show should have been Deb killing LaGuerta.

-smak-

6. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    You mean, just end it last season?

I would not have liked that at all. Dexter's character development needs some sort of closure. Or his death or imprisonment. I'd be okay with any of that (as long as it were done well), but there must be some sort of closure for him.

7. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I used to love commenting/discussing this show. Now it's just really disappointing. Thank god it is ending this Sunday.

I really have nothing to say about what happened during this episode.

8. getbak

getbak Active Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I would have been satisfied with them ending it last season and having Deb choose to shoot Dexter.

Dexter should not get a happy ending.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The weird thing is that although it was monumentally stupid of Dexter to let Saxon live (because Saxon can raise all kinds of awkward questions about Dexter in an environment where a number of people have in the past had their own suspicions about him), the incredibly stupid way he and Deb went about it may have worked to their advantage...Saxon killed the Fed who was after Sarah and Dexter, and now will have all kinds of trigger-happy law enforcement after him.

I hope they're not heading towards a gift-wrapped happy ending. As getbak said, Dexter deserves, well, not to get away with his lifetime of crime. I don't entirely trust this show any more to get it right (cough), but I guess if I've stuck it out for eight years, I can go one more week before I cancel my SP. :D

10. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Sarah and Chuck...Hannah and Dexter... ;)

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
  12. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Oooh, love triangle! :p

13. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    As a Miami resident, it's bad enough that I had to put up with CSI:Miami having mountains in the background of shots because they shot in LA. But Florida doesn't have front license plates, and I don't understand why they felt the need to have them in Dexter's Miami.

Miami Vice shot here, so did Burn Notice...and it made such a positive difference in the way the shows looked and felt. Even The Glades shoots all over the place down here. It's just my personal pet peeve. You can shoot Vancouver for any big city, but if you want Miami in your show you should shoot in Miami.

Back to the show. What a difference between how Dexter is coming to an end and what is happening with Breaking Bad. BB is a juggernaut of awesome that will end in an explosion through the front of my television. I will probably have to ponder the meaning of it and discuss with friends to fully understand what I have seen. Kind of like a support group for survivors of some tragedy.

When Dexter ends next week, it will be like my neighbor's dog dying. Sure I enjoyed playing with that dog every Sunday, but you could tell it was getting older and had lost a step somewhere. Sure I'm sad it's gone, but I'm sad more for how it used to be than what it was more recently.

14. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    While I hate "It was just a dream" endings, I almost feel like that is just about the only way this season can redeem itself. And the fact that the big looming storm is named "Hurricane Laura" had left me wondering. Laura (Moser) was Dexter's mom. Giving the storm her name is either very careless writing, or very deliberate writing. If it's deliberate, is the storm a real storm and the writers are just drawing a parallel to Dexter's stormy life at the moment? Or is it something deeper?

15. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    McLean, VA
    this exactly.

and this.

so annoying. the Saxon plot should have been wrapped up in this ep, and have the finale about his escaping with Hannah for his new life. sigh.

16. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    It was always known that no matter how they decide to end it (Dexter dead, Dexter in jail, Dexter gets away), there would be unhappy viewers. But the way this season has gone all viewers are unhappy. And we haven't even got to the actual ending yet. Of course I'll watch on Sunday. It's just sad to see this show go out on such a low note.

17. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I'm still waiting for a show that decides to end its run in a completely unrelated manner to its own storylines, like having a nuke explode in the city where it all was taking place. Or just have the main protagonists of the series die in some unrelated plane crash/accident of some sort.

18. rahnbo

rahnbo Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Florida
    Oh, oh! Or have it end like another show begun... with a toilet seat from a de-orbiting space station striking and killing Dexter.

19. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Thanks for reminding me about Dead Like Me. That's another show to add to the thread about great shows that went downhill fast. :)

20. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    McLean, VA
    yeah.. it's one thing to have a storyline go a way people don't like, it's another to make it just completely out of character and stupid.