1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dexter S07E12 "Surprise, Motherfckr!" 2012-Dec-16

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by john4200, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Dec 17, 2012 #1 of 109
    john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Well, at first I thought I was wrong about Deb dosing herself with the Xanax, since Hannah sort of admitted it to Dexter. But then when Deb told Hannah, "confess what you've done" and Hannah responded, "I will if you will" and then "all that Xanax, my how you must have trouble sleeping at night". That sounds like Hannah saying she suspects that Deb did it to herself. But Hannah could just have meant that Deb had a big bottle of Xanax that came in handy when Hannah dosed her. But the part about Deb needing to confess what she has done fits better with Deb dosing herself rather than with Deb knowing Dexter is a killer and not turning him in. I guess I now have no idea who did it.

The part about the warrants to "track the GPS" on Dexter and Deb's phone was hard to believe. I have never heard that the cell phone companies keep records of everywhere that the cell phones have been. Sure, they can probably locate a powered-on cell phone NOW if they needed to, but to keep complete records of everywhere someone has been? I don't think so. I could accept that it is routine for police to wear something that allows their position to be tracked (and have something in their car), but that does not apply here since (1) no warrant would be needed and (2) Dexter would definitely not have anything like that (not sure about Deb).

That was a highly unsatisfying way to end the season. Dexter's plan for LaGuerta was okay (although he should have stabbed Estrada with something like an icepick), except that she had to be shot with Estrada's gun. Now that LaGuerta was shot with Deb's gun, that plan is...well...shot to hell. It would hardly be credible for Deb to claim that she found LaGuerta just after she shot Estrada and then when LaGuerta began to point her gun at Deb, then Deb shot LaGuerta. Since that story cannot work, the only thing I can think of is that both bodies need to disappear in Dexter's usual manner. Except that takes time, and we saw Dexter and Deb returning to the party at a not unreasonable hour. And when LaGuerta disappears, with her car known to have been at the port, and Deb having just called in for that information, and the conflict between LaGuerta and Dexter....LaGuerta's disappearance bodes ill for the Morgans.

On second thought, maybe Deb could claim exactly what I just wrote. The story could be that LaGuerta was obsessed and wanted to frame Dexter for killing Estrada, so she shot Estrada just as Deb came in, and Deb shot LaGuerta in self-defense.

2. Dec 17, 2012 #2 of 109
    Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I think the likely story is that LaGuerta shot Estrada just as Deb showed up and she shot LaGuerta. Deb calling dispatch to find her jives with that. They need to remove any evidence that Dexter was there. Having them wander off into the middle of the New Year party doesn't seem to fit with cleaning up then calling it in though.

If Deb was messed up before, she's really going to have problems sleeping now.

3. Dec 17, 2012 #3 of 109
    john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Yeah, that does not fit at all. Deb should have waited for Dexter to clean up and leave, then Deb calls it in and waits. She would be stuck at the scene for hours. Dexter should have made an appearance at the party then Deb could call him to come to the scene. In no version of that scenario should the pair of them show up at the party.

4. Dec 17, 2012 #4 of 109
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Not sure I will watch next season or to the conclusion of the series. I might just record and FF through boring parts just to get gist.

Are they setting up Hannah to be the baddie next season? Or was she letting Dexter know to come find her?

5. Dec 17, 2012 #5 of 109
    kar74

kar74 hi.

Feb 13, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    After letting last night's finale sink in, I have come to the conclusion that I will not try to understand the details but will just be happy that they finally killed off LaGuerta. Now if only Hannah would've died, too... We need a fresh start next season.

6. Dec 17, 2012 #6 of 109
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    How could they say that LaGuerta shot Estrada? He was stabbed by Dexter just before LaGuerta arrived.

I think that Deb, not being the pro that Dex is, screwed things up by staying and shooting her. Clearly, that was not the best scenario. I'm sure it will be tidied up somehow. I will look forward to the last season, although I hoped the show would go on and not have people knowing about Dexter.

Looks like Hannah was blowing town, never to be seen again.

What struck me weird was Dexter showing up at the party in his kill clothes.

I half expected the end to be Deb shooting and us not knowing which one she shot until next season opens.

7. Dec 17, 2012 #7 of 109
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Dexter explained that to Estrada. He will shoot Estrada in the stab wound. The bullet will remove evidence of the stab. (So he said.)

8. Dec 17, 2012 #8 of 109
    waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I thought it was pretty clear from the dialogue that Hannah put the medication the in the water bottle that Deb drank. Also, I thought it was pretty clear that Hannah was talking about Deb's knowledge of who Dexter was and what he had done.

9. Dec 17, 2012 #9 of 109
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Yikes! I wonder how I missed that. Thanks :)

10. Dec 17, 2012 #10 of 109
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I agree, the whole container story and timeline is far fetched and way unlike Dexter's usual methods. And he is never seen in public wearing his "kill" garb, so that was also kinda strange.

If the bullet to kill LaGuerta was through-and-through, they just need to find the bullet fragment and shell casing, and then shoot her again in the same spot with Estrada's gun. If it's not through-and-through, that's a bigger, but not unsurmountable problem.

I don't get why LaGuerta would shoot Estrada -- he's clean as far as the she and the law are concerned. If anything, she's shoot Dexter and let Estradad go (he'd never squeal on her that she killed Dexter).

11. Dec 17, 2012 #11 of 109
    waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    So Hannah has escaped. The orchid left at Dexter's door was definitely a signal for him. I wonder if the orchid has an unusual name to signal her intentions. Something with death implying she is going to try and kill him or find me and let's run away together.

Deb has definitely crossed over. There is no going back now. The stroll at the party seemed pretty relaxed, like she was at peace with what she had done.

I wonder if Matthews will suspect something when LaGuerta shows up dead or missing? Or if anybody will.

Dexter had a good plan for incriminating LaGuerta with the killing of Estrada. It will seem tough to go that route with Deb killing LaGuerta with her service weapon.

Will someone find the DVD with Deb filling the gas tank, (wondered about that hole since the first episode) or the subpoenas for their locations? (Not worried if this is a reality or not.) It's entertainment so I can go along for the ride even if not realistic. I think they would have the locations of any calls made. I don't know about text messages sent/received.

12. Dec 17, 2012 #12 of 109
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I would have thought that LaGuerta would've automatically called for backup after getting the call from Estrada, and Dex should've taken that into account.

Oh well. Deb has now completely "broken bad" and I look forward to the resolution of everything in the next and final season.

13. Dec 17, 2012 #13 of 109
    waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    As LaGuerta she wouldn't. But after "trying to frame" Dexter it could make sense in Dexter's alternate reality of what was happening. Dexter planted the evidence for LaGuerta to find. She made the arrest on based on this and looked pretty irrational as she tried to explain. LaGuera killing Estrada would fit with Dexter's created alternate reality that LaGuerta was irrational and trying to frame Dexter.

14. Dec 17, 2012 #14 of 109
    waynomo

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Agreed, that would make more sense, but this is television. It is a created reality.

15. Dec 17, 2012 #15 of 109
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I'm sure he has been seen in his kill clothes before, but showing up at a NYE party wearing that seemed to stand out as inappropriate garb.

The word has been circulating at the station that Maria was behind Estrada's release, as well as all the talk about her vendetta against Dex in order to clear the name of the well-established BHB, Sgt. Doakes, her former lover. And she had Dex arrested based on the idea that he had chopped up and disposed of Estrada, so it would make sense to the police that she couldn't afford to have Estrada showing up in one complete piece.

I could not disagree more on that point. She looked like she was deep in her own thoughts about what had just transpired. Not at all "at peace with what she had done".

16. Dec 17, 2012 #16 of 109
    john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    And how would that be surmountable? A third person dug the bullet out and left the scene? That does not take the heat off of Dexter and Deb.

17. Dec 17, 2012 #17 of 109
    GoHalos

GoHalos Registered User

Aug 30, 2006
    OC, CA
    Yes, this seemed clear to me as well.

18. Dec 17, 2012 #18 of 109
    john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Right, there is no question at all that Deb was extremely upset. I don't know how anyone gets "at peace" out of that scene.

19. Dec 17, 2012 #19 of 109
    Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    By Dexter/Deb digging out the bullet themselves, and shooting LaGuerta again with Estrada's gun to cover up/mask the first entry wound in the same way he was going to shoot Estrada where he was stabbed to cover up the stabbing. Dexter has an entire set of sharp knives. Sure, it wouldn't be easy (depending on where the bullet was lodged), but if anything happens along these lines, I'd bet the bullet exited and they can find it.

20. Dec 17, 2012 #20 of 109
    john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    If that is what they did, then they had better hope the bullet did not hit a bone and cast off bullet fragments.

And Dexter better be the best surgeon in the world not to leave any evidence that a bullet was extracted. That is a lot different than a small stab wound.