1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dexter 8/25/13 "Make Your Own Kind Of Music"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    With all this talk about a Breaking Bad spin-off sit-com with Saul, I can't help but think Dexter should get a sit-com spin-off of its own. "The Deb & Hannah Show." Two hot roomies. Who want to kill each other.

Things do seem to be coming together, in the sense that fissile material comes together in the core of a nuclear bomb. I sense a body count coming on...
  2. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    Well, so much for my other "obvious" theory. I suppose this one makes the most sense from a "how to turn Dexter and Vogel against each other" point-of-view. But I am still curious about Oliver/Daniel's connection to Yates. Unless of course all psychopaths have the inherent ability to hack into their therapists' computers.

And I guess he wasn't upset with Yates' death so much as he was upset about Vogel connecting with Dexter and Deb in a new way after that. That is why he stopped his killings to get closer to Dexter. He might have seen Vogel eating dinner with Dexter, Hannah, and Zach, and that pushed him over the edge to reveal himself once again.
  3. DUSlider

DUSlider New Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Why does Oliver/Daniel need to have a connection to Yates, other than using him to trick Dexter and Vogel into thinking that Yates was the brain surgeon. Doing so just gave Oliver/Daniel more time to see what kind of adversary Dexter would be so that he can deal with him. I think Oliver/Daniel wants to kill his mother because she "sent him away" and knows that Dexter will interfere with his revenge. The only reason I think Vogel is still alive is because Oliver/Daniel needs her to provide a distraction/conflict for Dexter and Vogel's delusions of having a family again with her psychopath son just aid Oliver/Daniel in accomplishing this.
  4. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Other than the chuckle at Deb being surprised she was eating dinner prepared by Hannah there was no big surprises this week.

The boyfriend is the killer: yep, that sounds about right.
    Killer is in contact with Vogel: also sounds about right.
    Killer is actually her son: Didn't see that coming but we had no clues previously, but also sounds about right.

So this episode was just a reveal of what had been hinted at the last few weeks. While good, I'd have preferred they didn't drag it out over the whole episode but had got to Vogel and son at the 20 minute mark and showed us what happened next.
  5. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I agree that it was about the best that could be expected given what had already occurred. Of course, they wrote themselves into a corner with the whole Dexter and Vogel thinking Yates was the brain surgeon thing, so they could not mention it this episode, otherwise it would make them look even dumber than they already do.

I was annoyed that Dexter did not explain to Deb about Oliver. I get that she kept saying she did not want to know too much of Dexter's activities, but just telling her to stay away from Oliver was not a strong enough warning. Dexter could have just told Deb, he is Vogel's son, he is the brain surgeon, and he killed Cassie and Zach. Then Deb would be forewarned as much as possible to protect herself.
  6. Hank

Hank AC•FTW

May 31, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Also, you've got $500k, you can't put Hannah up in an out-of-town hotel for a few days? She HAS to stay at Deb's place to be "safe"?? Sure.
  7. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH

"Are you kidding?"

8. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Oliver has no connection to Yates. It was purely coincidence that Dexter started going through her book, vetting her patients, and found one that had a scar from brain surgery. Oliver is cutting his victims skulls open for an entirely different reason and probably did not even know about Yates' surgery.

Yes, that was beyond far fetched. But I guess if the point was to have Dexter be able to see Hannah on a regular basis without raising suspicions by him driving to some other town every day, then Dexter needed her somewhere close and somewhere that wouldn't be odd if he visited regularly.

But I agree that it was stupid. They've been apart for months. They could handle being apart for another few days while Dexter ties up all his loose ends.
  9. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    I just found it odd that both of them had hacked into Vogel's computer. Last week I thought that having the Brain Surgeon be someone else was how they were going to explain Yates having access to Vogel's files. But if Yates had no connection to the Brain Surgeon, then we're not only back to Yates being able to hack into Vogel's computer, but Daniel being able to as well. Hence my comment about the seeming inherent ability of psychopaths to hack into their therapists' computers. (Although I guess technically Daniel wasn't a patient.)
  10. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    After seeing more of Vogels son I was thinking it would have been cool if they set this seasons big bad up to be a Dexter clone in town to take care of Deb. Someone that is as capable as Dexter (maybe more so), who finds out about his past time and turns attention towards him. Vogels first try at the code, not just her son who happens to be crazy and kills innocent people to get her attention.

Only 3 episodes left and it finally starts getting tense.
  11. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    I have been watching both Breaking Bad and Dexter as they come up on their season finales, and I have to say with 3 episodes left I don't feel the tension or the urgency on Dexter. I hope they come to a worthy conclusion, and don't give us and ending like The Dark Knight Rises. Sure...it made sense, but was somewhat unsatisfying way to end what had been a very cool story.

I have always assumed Dexter has to get caught or killed for the story to end, because he won't be able to control the dark passenger. But it feels like they want a happy ending.
  12. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Why didn't Hannah go and get her money before she was supposed to leave the first time?
  13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Because that would have been too easy. :) They needed her to go there when the federal marshall would catch Dexter there, so that they could add some extra drama to the plot.
  14. JLucPicard

JLucPicard New Member TCF Club

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I'm a bit torn over whether I might weep if Kenny Johnson winds up getting blown up again!
  15. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Wow was this one of the ****tiest episodes ever - characters acting stupid, "surprising" plot twists that aren't. These final episodes better really bring it because the last few have been as entertaining as a CPA seminar.
  16. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    Is there anyone who didn't think that Vogel had her son in the house when Dexter paid a visit? While he can be hiding in the house , I was wondering where he hid his car. Does Vogel's house have a garage?
  17. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    One hot, one most defintiely not (IMHO) :)
  18. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Seeing Kenny Johnson was the only good thing about this ep. The series is going out with a wimper. It could still play out in any of a number of different endings but the ride getting there has been drawn out and boring. Yeah they are setting up a happy ending, I would be disappointed to see it end that way. Maybe this season ends similar to season 4.
  19. pmyers

pmyers New Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yeah, that was painfully obvious.
  20. robojerk

robojerk Active Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I was thinking that too. Lazy writing.
    Lemansky was my favorite.. It was so shocking and sad when he died.