1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperately Need Help/Advice re Comcast

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by alleybj, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Jun 6, 2014 #1 of 23
    alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    Can anyone advise? Comcast is refusing to send out a technician to check their lines/hookups because I don't have a Comcast box. Their suggestion is that I acquire a Comcast box so that they can help me. Any suggestions? Please?

2. Jun 6, 2014 #2 of 23
    eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    We night be able to help, but would need more information such as what model(s) TiVos you have and what you are having problems with.

3. Jun 6, 2014 #3 of 23
    worachj

worachj Active Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    How's your internet connection? If you have your internet though Comcast, you could try and complain about the internet connection. Back in the analog days I was having TV reception problems on some channels that they could never fix. I then complained about intermittent internet problems and they dropped a new line from the pole to my house and fixed both my TV and internet problems.

4. Jun 6, 2014 #4 of 23
    lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If you don't have a Comcast box you must have a cable card if your getting your TV from Comcast, unless (Comcast has not upgraded your system) and your only getting analog directly into your TV. Do you get your internet and or phone from Comcast ?

5. Jun 6, 2014 #5 of 23
    alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    Hi, I have a Roamio Pro, Elite and Premiere XL. I have recently started getting some pixelation on premium channels. Happens same time, same show on all three. I've attenuated the signals to where they're supposed to be, but no improvement. Comcast says no Comcast box, no service. Thanks

6. Jun 6, 2014 #6 of 23
    alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    I do have cablecards. Comcast doesn't seem to care. They have repeatedly told me I should swap my Tivos for their boxes in order to get a service call. I do get my internet from Comcast. It works just fine.

7. Jun 6, 2014 #7 of 23
    squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    It's probably time to call them to cancel. When you get to their retention department, tell them exactly why you're canceling.

8. Jun 6, 2014 #8 of 23
    alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    Well, only if I'm actually ready to cancel. I tried that, and they were perfectly happy to cancel me. They were nice but said only the tech group could schedule a service call.

9. Jun 6, 2014 #9 of 23
    hershey4

hershey4 New Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    So intermittent pixelation on some channels is the only problem you have? I get that all the time. I just assumed its part of the price for high res and overtaxed systems.

Way back when I had some startup problems with Comcast/Tivo, there was a relationship between the two and I called Tivo support and they got Comcast involved. However, maybe that was just initial cable card setup problems. Details are fuzzy.

I had such horrendous experience with Comcast at startup time (just getting the condo wired), I would dread calling them again for anything!!

If you have alternative TV choices, time to consider them if Tivo tech support can't get anything going.

It seems so obstinate of them. They have to support the service to the cable card. Maybe you can get your local or state municipal cable and/or consumer departments to help.

10. mcluvin

mcluvin New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Would an FCC compaint be warranted? They seem to respond to those.

11. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    You can also put on the wiring insurance and then have them call out and subsequently remove the insurance.

12. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    You can play their game and get one of their boxes temporarily to see if it experiences the same problems as your TiVos. If so, then you can just call and have them come out and figure out what the problem is.

Alternatively, you can do what someone else suggested and fire off a formal complaint to the FCC. That actually seems to get Comcast's attention, especially now that they are trying to merge with TWC.

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

13. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Since you are in Atlanta and they have begun encrypting everything including locals, you are entitled to at least one additional box for which you should not be charged so you can view the channels that were previously delivered in the clear. Mind you, you shouldn't have to get one. You are paying for service that isn't being delivered so they should fix it regardless.

Your other option is to insist they schedule a service call. If they won't, file an FCC complaint. There is something you need to keep in mind. If they do come out and the tech decides it is your problem, they will probably at least attempt to charge you for the service call.

Since you have Comcast Internet, you do have one of their boxes which theoretically could be the source of the problem.

14. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    For most Comcast systems you can purchase your own internet cable box and save about $8/month.

15. alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    Yes, I have my own modem, not one of theirs. I don't think it could be the problem though since the cable signal is split to the tivo before it goes to the modem

16. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Simply splitting it doesn't isolate it.

17. alleybj

alleybj Member

Dec 6, 2000
    atlanta, ga usa
    I'm not sure what you mean. The modem can't be an issue if it's not in the line to the Tivo can it?

18. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    the modem sends a signal on your cable line no matter where it is connected. if the modem is faulty it can cause errors on your cable boxes.

Have you checked DVR diag to make sure it is an error on the line and not from the cable system encoder ?

( look for increasing corrected/uncorrected RS )

19. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    So your not using any Comcast equipment, that may be your problem with getting Comcast out to your home. Offer to pay for the service call, if the problem is that of the Comcast installed cables they will not (I hope) charge you. If you installed the cables in your home yourself than Comcast's only responsibility is the cable coming into your home.
    I installed my own home cables but Comcast in CT is good, on a service call (for a cable card they could not activate over the phone) they replaces most of the cable ends, and some of my own splitters at no charge. As a note the Comcast tech had a special number he could call and was able to first set the cable card such that the TiVo screen came up saying that the cable card was removed, next the TiVo said the cable card was just inserted, than the tech. was able to fully activate the card.

20. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Once when I was having signal strength problems I called and said nothing worked -- no TV, no Internet. When the tech arrived I described the real problem, and he set to work checking things.