1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperate Housewives 1/22 "There's Something About a War" (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Jan 23, 2006.

1. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    It's interesting that the developing apathy towards this show here on TCF -- no thread a day later? -- isn't reflected generally in the ratings. DH is still at the top of the charts (although this episode did trail football on Sunday).

I enjoy small moments of the show now, but don't care about the big stuff. Small being scenes like Gabrielle's second confession, Bree's TV gambit at the open, etc. And at least they're managing to integrate the Applewhite story now, so that it's more tolerable. (But still not compelling. There's no mystery to it, save for who might be after the Applewhites, but the whole focus has been on the housewives possibly learing that Caleb is in the house. Oooooo!) Plus, we've got the return of Martha Huber's sister, although I was sorry to see she wasn't around in this episode.

But it's really impossible to care about anyone or what happens to them. Gaby and Carlos are a solid couple again, at least until they are not. (And why isn't Carlos back in jail after beating up the photographer last week?) Susan is in a relationship now, at least until she is not. Lynette is now Gaby, a selfish, bitter shrew. Bree is a caricature of herself. And is a catfight ever a sign of a show that isn't (how appropriate) desperate?

Anyway, I'll keep watching for the good individual moments in the show, because that's still pretty fun viewing. But I'm over the overall concept.

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Yeah, it's mostly a forgettable collection of sometimes-amusing skits. I didn't even realize I hadn't posted anything anywhere about this weeks episode... thought I did; one episode is mostly like every other this season so it's hard to tell them apart -- all pretty so-so/bad.

3. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    The sad part is that DH will survive longer than Book of Daniel even though I enjoy BOD much more right now.

4. chavez

chavez New Member

Nov 18, 2004
    dumped this season pass ages ago

5. NJChris

NJChris Kermie Loves Elmo

May 11, 2001
    Riverdale,...
    Why does anyone even go out with Susan.. she puts it right out there that she is insane....

Oh wait.. they all act insane.... They all lie like mad to get what they want. Why wouldn't Bree call the police right away? this was a guy everyone was scared of, and now it's just poker gossip?

Oh well, I still watch...

6. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    'Cause she's hot?

7. KRS

KRS Mmm...invisible cola

Jan 30, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    Dang, I was hoping Tom and Lynette would not reconcile that easily. She is such a bleeping bleep. Even when begging for forgiveness over messing up his promotion, she has to be a huge b!tch about it. "If you ever throw that in my face again, you will unleash demons...yadda yadda." Why the hell does he put up with that sort of crap?

Will the Applewhite's please move already. Don't threaten to move and then join the poker group. I am so sick of her ridiculous storyline - I hope they find a buyer quickly.

8. DougF

DougF Active Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    Book of Daniel is a limited series as I understand it. It's only supposed to last seven episodes, I think.

9. goMO

goMO Member

Dec 28, 2004
    I used to like Lynette... no more.. to sabotage her husband like that is just wrong..

10. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It was an 8 episode order.

It's actually already been pulled and canceled, unfortunately. No word on if they'll ever show the unaired episodes.

11. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I would probably never bother watching this show anymore. I have soooo many things queued up to watch that I'm not even getting around to Netflix.

However, my wife is one of those people who is keeping the ratings high: when we sit down to watch Sunday TV she always wants to watch DH first, before either Grey's Anatomy or Simpsons or West Wing, or anything else. *sigh*

12. jehma

jehma Active Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ

I record DH, GA, and WW. I watch them one each morning Mon-Wed on the treadmill. Lately, I've been watching them in the order GA, WW, DH. DH just isn't holding my attention much anymore. I suspect it won't get renewed.

13. KRS

KRS Mmm...invisible cola

Jan 30, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    Despite its sophomore slump, the ratings are still great for the show. I think it is safe money to say that the show will have a season 3.

14. robinreale

robinreale New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    MASSACHUSETTS
    I definitely don't think the show is as good as it was last season, but I continue to watch it simply because I have TiVo and nothing else is on at that time on Sundays.

15. JTAnderson

JTAnderson Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Redondo...
    Wouldn't that be a more compelling argument if you didn't have TiVo?

16. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    When Gabrielle let loose with "Sonofab!tch" in church I laughed for like 5 minutes.