1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

desktop file to flash drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by tattube, Jan 5, 2013.

1. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    I would like to send my brother a 2 hour program (app. 15 gb) that I have already transferred to PC using Tivo Desktop ver 2.8.3.
    Can I just copy it to a flash drive and send it out?
    Or, will I need to convert it in any way for him to play back on his computer?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You would first need to remove the Tivo encryption and render the file as a plain .mpg file.

Otherwise, your friend will have to install Tivo Desktop on his computer and you will have to give him your Media Access Key.

There are several methods available to strip the Tivo encryption.
    PyTivo and kmttg (search this forum) can automatically strip the encryption in the process of downloading from the Tivo to give you a plain .mpg file.

Since you have already downloaded this TV show to your computer, I would recommend using VideoReDo. They offer a 15 day free trial when you register for a trial key. You will be able to edit out the commercials and save as an .mpg file that your friend would be able to play on any computer.

http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There is also TivoDecode.

VideoReDo is for Windows only. In any case, you can also use KMTTG on a Windows or MAC, and use the decode feature.

4. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Thanks for both your answers.

For now, I will ask him to install Tivo desktop.
    I will look into decoding on my next transfer.

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    You'll have to give him your 10 digit MAK as well in that case.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    When you have decoded the .TiVo file, it will be a .mpg file and any player can play it without Tivo Desktop installed.