1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

deleting recorded shows after watching

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by skierrob, Aug 27, 2012.

1. skierrob

skierrob New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I've recently moved to Tivo after using Dish Network for several years. I now have a Tivo Premiere (75 hour).

When watching a recorded program, if I was done with a program (or just didn't care to watch it anymore), I could hit "stop" on my remote control and this would stop the recorded program at the point where I wanted it to stop and it would then dump me into the DVR menu with the show highlighted where I could delete the show.

With the Tivo, it appears that in order to do the same thing I need to first hit "pause" to pause the show, and then hit "Tivo" to go to the main menu, and then his "Tivo" again to get into my recorded shows. Then I have to select the show I was watching to be able to delete it. That, or I have to wait for the recording to "run out" before being prompted to delete.

Is there a better way of doing this on the Tivo that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just hit the Left Arrow (Back) and you get the menu with option to delete.

3. skierrob

skierrob New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I wonder if it would be worth mapping the "left" button as my 'exit' button on my Harmony remote. I wonder where else the left button is used that I'd trip myself up or my family. Hrmmm.

4. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Left Arrow (Back) will most always take you back one menu from where you currently are. Or to the last menu you were on before going to Live TV.

5. skierrob

skierrob New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Too bad that, if you hit "left" one more time, it doesn't return you to live tv... ;)

Robert

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you are within the last 5 minutes of a show, you can press Left arrow and it will ask to delete or keep the recording. Otherwise, you can press ->| (advance) to jump to end, then press Left arrow.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yeah,well going to "TiVo Central" always clears the stack. Probably best that it does so.

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Left Arrow then Clear works well, unless you're using the SDUI on a Premiere where Clear seems to be broken right now.

9. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    FWIW, I map my exit button to the zoom button.

10. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Navigation around the letter grid for a search.

11. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    The key is not pausing before you exit the recording. Pause tells the TiVo you wanted to save your playback position (which requires keeping the show) so it doesn't ask about deleting it. If you're in the last five minutes and don't pause I believe however you exit the recording ("Left" or "TiVo") will bring up the overlay that asks if you want to Keep or Delete.

Oh, and if you acciently trigger that screen you can use either the skip back or rewind button to cancel out of it. (If you just select "Keep" it'll still exit the show and also reset to the beginning because it assumes you stopped watching because you were through)

12. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    sometimes after the programs over and lets say you have 2 to 5 minutes left(commercials) i''ll just fast foward 3 arrows and at end the delete or save banner comes up.