1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deleting folder causes reboot

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MisterWho, Jun 26, 2016.

1. MisterWho

MisterWho Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I have a Roamio Plus that just recently has begun exhibiting this behavior (though since last couple SW updates). When deleting a folder from my shows, the TiVo reboots. That's it. It may not happen every time but is fairly repeatable. It can be a folder of 2 shows or 20. While I haven't investigated fully, it seems it happens with folders of all recorded shows or all streaming or mixture.

Anyone else seen this?

2. MisterWho

MisterWho Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Tivo customer support states:

"When removing content with large amounts of files, the TiVo box will reboot to prevent freezing or timing out from taking place."

I guess this is by design?

Am I alone in thinking this is weird?

3. Jul 1, 2016 #3 of 15
    ej42137

ej42137 Active Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I don't think it is weird that a TiVo customer support rep lied to you to get off the phone.

4. macsamurai

macsamurai TiVoSamurai Too!

Dec 30, 2001
    Brooklyn...
    This behavior just started within the past few months for us on our Roamio Pro. But it has also rebooted randomly on occasion when not deleting anything. Always when deleting folders, though. So i suspect it's a hard drive issue?

5. HILTON1942

HILTON1942 hefs

Sep 28, 2014
    raleigh nc
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    am sorry you are having problems and wish I could help but can't..
    My problem is trying to delete or remove the recorded shows in (MY SHOWS folder) I have searched and can not find an answer..but you seem to know how..could you please tell me how..
    Thank You...much appreciated;
    hefs

6. macsamurai

Dec 30, 2001
    Brooklyn...
    Not exactly sure what you're asking, but if you mean how do you delete a recording, you can just select it in the list and then use the Clear button on your TiVo remote or say "yes, delete" when it prompts after playing a recording. If you've got additional questions about how to use your TiVo, please start a new thread in the appropriate section of the forum.

7. akeetontcf

akeetontcf New Member

Jan 3, 2011
    This happened frequently on my Roamio Pro until it was updated to 20.7.1. I have deleted some very large folders since the update and it hasn't rebooted.

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. macsamurai

Dec 30, 2001
    Brooklyn...
    When did you get the update? I'm on 20.6.3 and there's no update pending when I force a check.

9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Got mine last week. But said to be rolling out throughout this month.

10. macsamurai

Dec 30, 2001
    Brooklyn...
    Sounds promising. Thank you!

11. akeetontcf

akeetontcf New Member

Jan 3, 2011
    I think I got the update about 2 weeks ago.

12. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    As stated above pressing the 'Clear' button with the program highlighted or in it's play menu will bring up the Delete menu also pressing 'Clear' with a folder highlighted will prompt for approval then delete all contents in the folder. (Hopefully with out the reboot that started this thread)

HILTON1942 likes this.
  13. HILTON1942

HILTON1942 hefs

Sep 28, 2014
    raleigh nc
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you very much...using the clear button worked like a charm...have never used it before..just the delete button..
    thanks again;
    hilton1942

14. krkaufman

krkaufman Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2003
    My Roamio Pros both seem to have become *less* stable since the 20.7.1 update. I could barely look at one of them, this morning, without triggering a reboot. I'm presently trimming our OnePass list down on one of the boxes, removing most of the Streaming-only OnePasses, to see if it changes anything.

HILTON1942 likes this.
  15. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Pressing "Clear" with a show merely highlighted, either in "My Shows" or within a group, does an immediate delete* with no dialog.

* it actually goes to "Recently Deleted Recordings", same as with other methods.

HILTON1942 likes this.