1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defrag TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TivoIT, Sep 18, 2006.

1. TivoIT

TivoIT New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Hi everyone:

Well, this is my first attempt at starting a thread, so bare with me!

Anyway, my question is…how many of you have seen the following article (Defrag Insures a Blockbuster Digital Media Experience) and what are your thoughts on it?

I ask because I read it recently and although it is in press release format, it really got me thinking. I mean, with the kids and all, our TiVo is a very important family tool. Because of the amount of shows we have saved on the thing, we worry constantly about our TiVo getting fried and our kids…going nuts!

I’ve already read many articles on backing up the TiVo and such, but this is the first article I’ve seen that has gotten this detailed regarding fragmentation.

We already have Diskeeper Defrag running on our Windows Media Center PC, but are unsure about the TiVo itself.

Can my TiVo become fragmented? And if so, how would I go about DEfragging it? :confused:

2. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    no, the filesystems used by linux (the os used by tivo) do not need periodic defragging as do the filesystems used by windows. see this and especially read the short section titled 'defragmentation issues'.
    --
    Alan :D

3. theangelwing

theangelwing New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    So based on th elinux system it runs (as do Macs) no defragging is neccesary?

4. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    correct, 'no defragging is neccesary'.
    --
    Alan :D

5. ccooperev

ccooperev TIVOSMITTEN

Apr 24, 2001
    Chicago, IL USA
    Mac's run UNIX (which is related to Linux) and does not require defragging.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    TiVo does not use anything Linux or Apple related to store recordings, but Media File System. Linux and Apple matter to the low level (Apple for the partitioning system,Linux/ext2 for the O/S partitions. None of those get fragmented in day to day use, or require user maintenance.

7. disker72

disker72 New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    My MFS partition is being listed by e2fsck as being >30% non contiguous (or fragmented) and I have been noticing digital pausing even in live video feed, where as my standalone DTV sat receiver (non-DVR) playing side by side doesn't exhibit this behaviour.

It is very apearent that I do need to defrag /dev/hda9 to correct this. What is the best way to acomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

8. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    /dev/hda9 is an ext2 file system for /var, and not part of the Media File System. In generally, you can wipe /dev/hda9 out completely (e.g. dd /dev/zero over it.) and it will be recreated from scratch when the tivo boots. Seems highly doubtful that fragmentation in /var has anything to do with your performance issues, though they may be disk related.

9. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    Actually, it is very apparant that your hard drive is dying. :( You may want to head over to the upgrade forum and backup your image. Then replace the hard drive yourself when it finally dies.

I ran my hard drive for over 4 years. The drive was "fragmented" and yet I did not experience even a hiccup until the days just before my hard drive died.

10. disker72

disker72 New Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I'm hoping that isn't the case, but it may be... When booting, I see the following in BASH shell:

/dev/hda9 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
    Inode 2063, i_blocks wrong 448 (counted=434). Set i_blocks to counted? yes
    /dev/hda9 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
    Duplicate or bad blocks in use!

/dev/hda9: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
    (i.e., without -a or -p options)
    Can't clean /dev/hda9 - rebuilding

Should I just clear this partition out? and if so, how would be the best way to do so without loosing any of my program data?

MANY THANKS!

11. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Check the bootlog carefull. If e2fsck failes on /var, the startup scripts should automatically rebuild it from scratch with mke2fs (as the "- rebuilding" message indicates.)

It's normal for /dev/hda9 to have e2fsck errors at startup, since it is never cleanly unmounted. It doesn't matter, since nothing is there that can't be easily replaced in a auto-rebuild.

I'd check the S.M.A.R.T. registers on the drive to see if the drive has recorded any errors.