1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defiance "The Serpent's Egg" - OAD 5/13/13

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, May 14, 2013.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
  2. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    They did the back story on Irisa and Nolans meeting and explaining what she said about Nolan saving her by killing her parents. The other plotline about the ambassador from the Earth Federation being another enemy, tho nicely done, I could have done without but we'll see where that goes. Tommy must be an awesome lover cause I think he caused Irisa to have a vision..

I'm basing Defiance rating success on BT snatches and Usenet DLs and its doing handsomely there so not surprised on the renewal. :)

3. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Are we supposed to know what the Earth Federation is? I'm having trouble following this. :confused:

4. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It's the E-Rep, or Earth Republic, and I gather that it's a government or some kind of similar organization that has control of certain areas, but Defiance is still independent and the E-Rep is trying to bring Defiance under its control.

Here's what defiance.wikia.com has to say about it:

5. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    It just seems like if this is a governing body of the entire planet, St Louis would be small potatoes to them. Or maybe the inhabitable part of "the entire planet" is way less territory than it used to be.

This show has so much potential--I'm not sure they're going to come close to it. :(

6. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    From what I've been able to gather, the Earth Republic and the Votanis Collective were the two factions that were warring against each other and who reached a truce. But both factions still exist and both are trying to curry favor and spread control as much as possible. So it's not a matter of whether St. Louis would be small potatoes. It's the fact that there is an independent town, right on the main supply route between New York and Yuma/Calexico (Southern California doesn't exist anymore and Yuma is on the coast, Calexico is an island). So both factions want to have control over Defiance for political and strategic reasons, not because it's a huge city.

7. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    So are Europe and Africa and Asia out there too, and this one group is trying to rule the whole planet wherever humans are? Or are big chunks of the planet just uninhabitable?

8. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't know. I didn't read very much last night when I looked up Earth Republic on that wikia site. But I think there's lots of information out there, since the existence of the game necessitated that they create a pretty rich and detailed backstory for the whole thing.