1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dec 2016 update maybe bricked my minis?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by NuthinBetter, Dec 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dec 5, 2016 #1 of 12
    NuthinBetter

NuthinBetter Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Westfield, NJ
    I went to watch one of my Minis last night and found nothing but a black/blank screen. I rebooted the mini and it goes through the startup screens and ends with a black screen. There IS signal through the HDMI, but it's black - nothing at all. Tried rebooting it twice, swapping out the HDMI cable, etc.

I was going to actually swap-out the entire TV, so I went to one of my other two Minis to check that TV first (I own 3 Mini 2's). That one was a black screen too. Rebooted. Same thing. Third one acting the same way!

Called TiVo Support. Started through the standard "troubleshooting playbook". No issues with remote tests (supposedly), and just in passing the tech said, "Your Mini is running the latest software." I asked, "When was the Mini's software last updated?" He said, "Dec 3."

Um, OK, we can try plugging all 3 Mini's into three different outlets and keep going down "the playbook", or we can pretty quickly discount the coincidence that when the update was pushed to my 3 Mini's, they were bricked...I continued to run any tests the rep wanted, but I'm pretty confident I know the problem.

That's what I know "so far"...wondering if anyone else is having trouble with their Mini's since Dec 2 (seems to be the s/w publish date, though everyone gets updates at different times)?

2. Dec 5, 2016 #2 of 12
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have v1 and v2 Mini boxes with the 20.6.3 update and they work fine.

3. Dec 6, 2016 #3 of 12
    yoheidiho

yoheidiho Member

Mar 31, 2011
    What Tivo devices are you connecting the Minis to?

There is a known issue with Premieres and newer under software version 20.6.3 where connection errors prevent MRV. It is currently an open issue. It is Tivo bug number 449542.

Hope this helps.

4. Dec 6, 2016 #4 of 12
    NuthinBetter

NuthinBetter Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Westfield, NJ
    They connect to a Roamio. Is there a way I can look at the bug details? Maybe it applies.

Thanks for the response,
    AJ

5. Dec 6, 2016 #5 of 12
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    Although it is your minis which are showing the problem, it is just as likely if not more so that the issue is with the host Roamio or something with your account.

6. Dec 6, 2016 #6 of 12
    NuthinBetter

NuthinBetter Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Westfield, NJ
    I can understand that idea. The tech OTP ran tests on all 3 of my mini's remotely. Don't know if he ran any tests on the Roamio, but I'm sure he validated my account info, etc. The Roamio shows no apparent issues (that doesn't mean there aren't any, but it doesn't show me any visible ones!

7. Dec 6, 2016 #7 of 12
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The only thing I would do in your situation would be to power off everything including router/switches on my network and then start powering up back up, slowly, router first, switches, Roamio, then each mini. Be patient and allow each device to complete it's startup. Good luck

8. Dec 6, 2016 #8 of 12
    scottc42

scottc42 Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Powers Lake, WI
    I had to reboot my Roamio after the update. Everything worked fine after that.

9. Dec 7, 2016 #9 of 12
    delgadobb

delgadobb Member

Mar 6, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Just as I was going to compose a thread about my Mini being bricked I saw this.

Similar to OP, one of my Minis bricked after the recent 20.6.3RC7 update; in my case it didn't go blank but lost all networking. When I went through the menus to try to connect to Tivo or test the connection I got a variety of errors. The common theme was it was acting as if the ethernet port had gone bad.

This led to over 2 hrs on the phone with Tivo tech support, with the rep eventually having to call me back on my cell phone since the battery on the home phone died. It was a loooonnng phone call. Along the way we tried re-doing guided setup which kind of sent it into a loop of death similar to the Tivo HD problem where GC wouldn't occur for a long time thanks to the tuning adapter - re-doing guided setup at that point screwed up the HD on one of my Tivo HDs.

Eventually there were numerous reboots of multiple Tivos & network equipment & the Tivo rep tried to push updates manually from her end to my Roamio Pro (to which the Minis connect) along with another Roamio. I forced connections a bunch of places following her requests. Eventually we got the Mini to start up in a basic state - it could now see my Roamios but a red circle with a line through it was next to each of them. Couldn't connect.

Here's where it gets weird. She had me set up a Moca network on my Roamio Pro despite every room in my house being wired with Cat5e, many with multiple ethernet jacks. It was enough to get it functional & talking to the Roamio Pro. Then she went off on a tangent how all Minis require a Moca network??? When I asked how I've functioned for years without one running straight ethernet, she didn't have an answer.

I'll continue to monitor this & update if I learn more, but I find that this happened at all extremely bothersome (did I mention I also can't see my TivoHD to transfer some of my legacy files? Yeah, I know it's a known problem; seems like this update broke a few things.)

The Tivo rep said everything we did should update my equipment to 20.6.3RC9 but it's all still on 20.6.3RC7 & it's been this way for several days. Not inspiring confidence yet I'll keep my fingers crossed ...

(BTW, mods/sysadmins - this came up multiple times in a popup window while composing this ... "
    Sucuri CloudProxy - Backend Server timeout")

10. NuthinBetter

NuthinBetter Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Westfield, NJ
    Man, I don't know why I didn't receive a notification that you posted this...

TiVo asked me to return one of my 3 Minis for examination and they basically RMA'ed it and are sending a replacement. (Side topic: UPS says the Mini was received by their TS dept on Dec 9...no response from them for two weeks, so I called them...they put me on hold for over 45min and finally told me they were "expediting my replacement"...nothing showed up until last night when I got an email saying my return was received! Also, no word on what, if anything they found wrong with the returned unit, and I'm wondering if they'll bother to actually check.)

So I have 3 TVs that have no "cable"...still waiting for TiVo to do something...anything...and getting VERY frustrated with it all.

All my Mini's (and Roamio) are on Cat5e on various Gig-E switches in my house, but the TS guys seem to indicate that they can "see" the Mini from their side and don't know why it simply will not show anything after booting. (Actually no two Mini's are on the same switch, and all of them have a different physical "network path"; same virtual network/subnet.) I don't even have coax in all my rooms to try moving to MoCA, and I would call that a cop-out-workaround on their end.

I'm pretty convinced it was the update that caused my problems. It's way too coincidental that the issue started immediately after they pushed that version, and it happened to all my Minis.

11. Doug R.

Doug R. New Member

Jan 5, 2017
    MoCA is not the solution. I am using the MoCA for whole-house use (Roamio Pro and 3 Minis). Was running this configuration for two years with absolutely no problems -- ever. Was in love with TiVo. Had previously used wired network -- again, no problems.

Software 20.6.3RC7 self-installed on 12/2/16 and THAT DAY saw Mini problems for the very first time. Most common problem is dropping the connection between the Mini and the Roamio. Happened 5 times the first day, but some days, it's 5 times in 3 minutes. Thought it might be some temporary glitch with either TiVo or internet, but continued. If one specific Mini (in bedroom) is on, it really messes with the connection. It's basically bricked. If I unplug it, the one that I mostly rely on in the Living Room rarely drops connection. That's what I'm trying as an almost-solution right now.

Lots of the usual error messages and suggestions. Been through the whole rebooting/unplugging Roamio and Minis and even router, different sequencing didn't matter. Checked connections. None of that worked. From reading comments, calling TiVo is apparently a waste of time. They don't know what they did to break it, so they don't know to fix it. Question for the forum, Can you get a software rollback to previous versions? I would love to do that if I knew how.

12. NuthinBetter

NuthinBetter Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Westfield, NJ
    What frustrates me almost as much is that guys like us have totally "bought into" their ecosystem. We have 3-4 (sometimes more) of their devices which constitutes a big investment in a lot of ways. What are we supposed to do? Inadvertently or not, they're treating us like suckers.