1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dear Tivo Abby: please help me decide - Roamio or Roamio Plus

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by redbeard25, Dec 30, 2013.

What should Redbeard25 do?

1. Upgrade to the Roamio

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Upgrade to the Roamio Plus

18 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. Keep the Premiere XL

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. redbeard25

redbeard25 Member

Jan 15, 2002
    My situation:

• Comcast subscriber
    • Not all that thrilled with what I'm paying for... might consider cord cutting at some point in the future
    • Premiere XL w/1 TB expander and lifetime
    • Spare 3TB hard drive sitting around
    • Two TVs connected to the Premiere XL, one in one room on Component and one in the other room on HDMI
    • IR remote in the same room as the Premiere, Original Tivo Slide in the next room
    • Have Tivo stream
    • Have two Tivo lifetime minis
    • Have HDCP compliant HDMI splitter if I need to use it.

If I were to upgrade to the Roamio, I would get the flexibility of OTA and save $150.

If I were to upgrade to the Plus, I would get two more tuners and the remote finder.

With both, I would get new fonts. :D

I think with all my other toys, it would be a wash.

Questions:
    1. Do I need to upgrade at all? Someone talk me in or out of it.
    2. Are there any other advantages to either box I'm missing?

Thanks!

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Seems like the forecast of how you may look to eventually cut the cord is a necessary piece of the puzzle. I would research how that works and how it would work for your family before deciding to upgrade.

You have been without the use of a OTA unit for a while, considering you have an Elite, so I would guess that the OTA possibility is minimal in the short run and that you would especially appreciate the speed of the Roamio. My understanding is that it is even faster than the mini...

3. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless TCF Club

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    On the other hand, it sounds to me like you'll enjoy the additional storage and tuners of the Plus more than the ability to maybe cut the cord in the future.

4. redbeard25

redbeard25 Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Hence the complexity of my decision... the storage isn't an issue - the 3TB drive is ready to drop in to either box.

5. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    Buy the basic Roamio (I bought two) because this will embolden you to cast off Comcast and save big $$. The Netflix experience is good, the DVR performance without CableCARD or TA is virtually perfect, and 4 tuners OTA actually does work out very well.

If you might have both Minis online at the same time maybe buy two Roamio?

It's verra nice.

6. tamathat

tamathat New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Austin
    I second Steve.. start with one ota roamio basic with your 3tb drop in.. if you find you need more tuners get a second roamio basic with stock memory just to drive the minis. It will still be cheaper in the longrun than cable and/or pro given that you already have the 3tb sitting around.

7. redbeard25

redbeard25 Member

Jan 15, 2002
    I'm in for a basic from Amazon Warehouse Deals for ~$140

Thanks!

8. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You are confusing between the Premiere 4XL/Elite (4 tuner) vs. the Premiere XL (2 tuner) which he has noted in his post.

Redbeard25, if you were to choose either the Roamio Plus, or Pro, you would not be able to use OTA, because they are digital cable only, with 6 tuners. Only the 4 tuner Roamio will work with OTA.

9. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless TCF Club

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    I'm not convinced it's really "cutting the cord" when you are still paying a monthly fee to Tivo. But I do hope you enjoy the box!

10. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    No one said anything about TiVo monthly subscription. That is a money loosing proposition long term. Just figure the lifetime sub as part of the initial investment and move on. Its been discussed at length. If you are going to use TiVo long term, monthly is not cost effective. Break even for most tivos is only about 1 year.

11. snoopdogg1

snoopdogg1 New Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Actually, break even is about 2 1/2 years ($399 lifetime divided by $12.99/month= just over 30 months. )Still worth it though.

12. Tivogre

Tivogre Active Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Even this math is flawed. It doesn't account for the huge boost in resale value for the lifetime Tivo when you next upgrade. You can recoup almost ALL of the cost of the lifetime service when you sell the old Tivo.

13. snoopdogg1

snoopdogg1 New Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Really?! This would be great if true, but I think I read lifetime service is not transferable.

14. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It is only transferable from owner to another owner, it is not transferable from Tivo box to another Tivo.

15. leiff

leiff Member

Aug 24, 2005
    I see you have a stream so that's another reason you don't need the more expensive Romeos.
    however one drawback of basic Romeo is no component video. even the break away cable is for composite video only, so if you mirror multiple tvs you'll have to do it with HDMI splitter/switches.
    I like my basic Romeo. its small form factor appeals to me. it fits better on my desk. the internal was loud for me so I permanently removed the top lid and disabled the fan. even with no fan the tivo runs cooler since the top lid is off. With lid on it was always hot to the touch.

16. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    its not. You sell the box and lifetime together. I sold 3 2 tuner tivo premieres with lifetime on ebay for around $1300 bucks. I bought Romaio plus (did a 3tb upgrade), lifetime + 2 minis with lifetime for around $1500 bucks

17. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Every time this comes up someone says this and it simply is not true. The break even point calculation has to include the residual value of the unit. Approx 250 more for the lifetime unit than a unit without. Net cost for the LT sub is only about 150. just over a year break even point assuming buying the hardware with sub new.