1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deadliest Catch - OAD 7/2/2013

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Big Deficit, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Jul 3, 2013 #1 of 21
    Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    No thread yet? Wow! Elliot is a bigger idiot that I ever imagined!! His romantic life completely baffles me. I mean, your true love won't have you back, mainly because you're screwing around with someone else, so you tack and ask the other woman (who is stepping out on you in your own home/bed) to marry you??? Your engagement planning is to invite the woman to meet you at an airport (will she bring her boyfriend?) and also call someone to make a ring for you and meet you at the same time??? Of course all this is predicated on his incompetence not sinking the boat. Fortunately, his crew has a stronger will to live than Elliot and decide on their own to work to save the boat...and Elliot apparently plans to fire them for that indiscretion. Basically, unless this was totally staged and manufactured by Tom Beers, if I were on the camera crew on that boat, once it touched land I'd jump off and refuse to ever get back on board. The job is dangerous enough, but adding gross incompetence puts it over the top. Either Elliot loses the boat to a bank, or he sinks it and kills everyone on board!

Oh, and another wizard "horn" bites the dust.....yawn.....

2. Jul 3, 2013 #2 of 21
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    If he hasn't already killed himself and the crew I would be surprised to see new crew lining up to join the Saga after they've seen episodes like this one and last week (when a wave almost washed the entire crew overboard while Elliott yawned).

Elliott talked about how much an engine overhaul would cost but there was no mention of time. They're in St. Paul, which can't have much in the way of repair facilities, so it would either take a long time there or else they would have to unload pots and limp back to Dutch.

3. Jul 3, 2013 #3 of 21
    pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Elliot is something else.

I still hate Keith and do believe Freddy crossed the line. He's never acted this way before.

4. Jul 3, 2013 #4 of 21
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    I agree Freddie crossed the line. At first I figured the guy was just being a baby but the more they showed the more my mind was changed.

5. Jul 3, 2013 #5 of 21
    pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yeah..."haze" a Greenhorn all you want but don't threaten or use physical harm (i.e throwing an octopus at a Greenhorn who is standing at the rail who could have been thrown over).

And Keith practically encouraged and escalated the crew to continue.

6. Jul 3, 2013 #6 of 21
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member TCF Club

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I'm becomming convinced that this show is turning into more 'scripted drama' and a whole lot less reality.

They start doing in-episode ads for Subway, and they will have completed their Pawn Stars transformation!

7. Jul 3, 2013 #7 of 21
    AlphaDelta

AlphaDelta Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    This will probably be the last season of Deadliest Catch for me. Seems the primary prerequisite for crabbers is being a jerk. Eliot's a jerk all around. Sig treats his brother like ****. The Hilstrands work their crew so long they endanger themselves. Bill treats his kid like an idiot, and then gets indignant when the kid responds. Tired of the greenhorn hazing, especially on the Wizard. Dane shouldn't have thrown that punch, but I totally feel where's he's coming from. All because he wouldn't cut his hair? Really folks? Loose the superstition already.

My recording cut out when Keith was throwing Dane's bags on the dock, with Freddie waiting. Did anything happen?

8. Jul 3, 2013 #8 of 21
    Big Deficit

Big Deficit Happy now?

Jul 7, 2003
    http://www.clubnorthwestern.com/showthread.php?t=10139

Looks like Saga was for sale and hadn't fished for a very long time (8+ years?). Unless well cared for and put up well, engines usually don't react well to long disuse. That might explain the engine failures (or the engines were crap, which might explain why the boat was for sale for so long). Also saw somewhere that Elliot is the minority owner of Saga, i.e he owns a very small piece. I wonder if he has a bigger piece than the Harris's have of the Cornelia Marie?

Also from the Cornelia Marie wiki-

"On April 25th, 2013 Josh Harris confirmed in an interview on Rock 105.3 "The Show" in San Diego, CA that he has bought the Cornelia Marie."

9. Jul 3, 2013 #9 of 21
    JLucPicard

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Despite Keith's warning that while he was on the Wizard he was safe since the crew respected him as the captain and once he hits shore all bets are off, nothing was shown to have happened. They just showed Dane walking away shlepping his bag.

10. sgsmith

sgsmith Active Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Lawrencevill...
    Not quite all of the story. Didn't the crew, while on board the Wizard, place an octopus in Dane's luggage? Well hidden as I remember.

11. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    He bought it but he's not fishing on it. He hired a captain. From another website the news is that he's busy on a book tour promoting his and Jake's book:

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Phil-...F8&qid=1372944594&sr=1-1&keywords=josh+harris

12. JLucPicard

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I thought that happened BEFORE they threw the bags off the boat. If that was actually shown AFTER that, then yes, that is a rather important part of the story.

13. baxter316

baxter316 Member

Jun 7, 2003
    Preview question

Did anyone else see the messed up hand!!!!!

14. JLucPicard

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Yes! I paused it and it was really messed up. I was trying to tell if the sleeve of the other arm in the shot was a medical worker of some kind. That did look like a pretty nasty injury!

15. baxter316

baxter316 Member

Jun 7, 2003
    I told my wife that the person had to loose atleast two or three fingers.

16. Jayjoans

Jayjoans New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    CA
    The bag they put it in was clearly black, and the bag they showed him walking off with was clearly blue. :confused: Could very well be Thom Beers at work. Considering all the BS that comes along with Storage Wars, I don't doubt he has his grimy fingers in everything. Hey, maybe it was Thom's hand!

17. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    That would basically mean the Saga was mothballed just after the first season (it was a season 1 boat, back in the derby days). I'm guessing the switch to the quota system meant it was not worth crabbing with.

18. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    I'm going to call a buddy of mine who can tell us what this load of crab is worth.

19. snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    IIRC, he had 2 bags, one blue, one black.

20. JLucPicard

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Not to pick on just you, but this is the third time in two days on TCF I've seen the word 'loose' (rhymes with noose) used where it should be the word 'lose' (rhymes with booze).

I figured at least two or three, too, unless someone has a ton of money and lots of time to have microsurgery and a ton of rehab. Not likely for the guys who work the crab boats.