1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deadliest Catch - OAD 6/04/2013

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TonyTheTiger, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Jun 5, 2013 #1 of 20
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    ...and that, kids, is why you should never play with fireworks!

Ouch.

Will Elliot's woes ever end? I think he puts himself in the situations because he's a drama queen. And what's the deal with Val? A couple seasons ago, she was taking out a restraining order on him. Now she's accusing him of seeing another woman?

Weird.

2. Jun 5, 2013 #2 of 20
    zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    That poor flower order taker and the novel he wanted on the card!

3. Jun 5, 2013 #3 of 20
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Let the lawsuit begin. My boss tells me to go light off a huge bag of fireworks and I have a horrible accident.

I think Val's attitude may have changed when Elliott got a boat of his own.

Did you hear the quota of the Kiska Sea? 2.5 million pounds! I think they said the Northwestern quota was 1.5, so it's understandable that Jake is finding things running faster on his new boat.

4. Jun 5, 2013 #4 of 20
    Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    No, probably cause Elliott cleaned himself up for a couple seasons. She'd rather he not be a crab-fisherman. Seems they are still in the reconciliation phase of their relationship. In the Bait episode, Keith I think said Elliott had 400,000 lbs leased Opi quota and said he's going to find it hard to make money.

5. Jun 6, 2013 #5 of 20
    jeepair

jeepair Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Boss tells you to jump off a bridge and you do is he responsible? :rolleyes:

The camera crew appears to film EVERYTHING and I'm guessing they did have it filmed but didn't want to show it.

6. Jun 7, 2013 #6 of 20
    agentpaul

agentpaul New Member

Feb 28, 2002
    SoCal
    The captain of Kiska Sea is one tough no nonsense kind of boss. He really looks like someone you don't want to mess with. All business. Obviously the 2.5 million pounds of quota pretty much says it all.

One thing I noticed over the years watching DC. It seems every time DC features a one off boat, it's a boat with enormous quota and run in a very business like way. The way the captain of Kiska Sea talks and acts, it makes me wonder that there are probably no shenanigans on crews part. No incompetence. No whining on a bad string. No drama. Just do and get the job done, get paid, and go home.

It just makes me think that NW and TB, the most successful boats featured on DC, are small timers. Yet they talk about their fathers are legends. Kind of hard to think that it is. Even Keith's big boat doesn't even compare to Kiska Sea. I'm so shocked just from this first impression that the captain would even contemplate Jake Andersen eventually taking over the boat. How would even the crew respect him?

7. Jun 7, 2013 #7 of 20
    RickyL

RickyL valar morghulis

Sep 13, 2004
    Indianapolis
    You have to wonder how much they get to allow the filming. IOW, how much Discovery money did Jake bring with him.

8. Jun 7, 2013 #8 of 20
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    A background story on the Kiska Sea: http://www.examiner.com/article/kiska-sea-the-new-boat-of-the-deadliest-catch-series

A quote from a DC forum. Like posts on any thread on the net you can believe what you will:

I got the scoop on this last night. I had a good chat with one of the deckhands and I asked him how Jake is to work with. Apparently this was all scripted.
    I have not yet seen the two most recent episodes, so you may have already seen this.

The DC crew talked Jake into purposely missing the pot when throwing the hook. I'm told he rarely misses. At the same time the DC crew prompted the skipper to say something over the loudhailer to imply that the Kiska crew is too fast for Jake.

Look for some sort of reaction from the Northwestern on this.

And another interesting story I found: http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/deadliest-catch-now-safest-catch

But a new study from the Centers for Disease Control shows that a 1999 safety program has cut deaths by 60 percent. The study also found that while the rate of deaths in Bering Sea crabbing was 260 per 100,000 from 2000 to 2009, the figure for Atlantic scallops was a much higher 425 deaths per 100,000 and a scary 600 for fishermen going after groundfish in the Northeast.

The CDC report said the Dungeness fleet on the West Coast has a higher fatality rate than the Bering Sea fleet, which led the federal agency to recommend safety improvements including better weather reporting, safer procedures for crossing river bars, and increased usage of life jackets.

9. Jun 9, 2013 #9 of 20
    pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Well I guess that's why it is a 2 year plan and he's starting out by starting over and working as a greenhorn on the ship. I assume he'll move through all the positions over the next 2 years and will hopefully have proven himself by then.

10. snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    I predict Jake realizes the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

11. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I was a little confused about that. Was something written on the flower card that Val misinterpreted as Elliot seeing another woman? Did the flower store person do that on purpose? Or was something else going on?

12. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I don't think Val's phone call had anything to do with what was written on the flower card. It sounded to me like another woman wrote something to Elliott on Facebook.

13. trnsfrguy

trnsfrguy Advanced !

Apr 28, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    That's the way I understood it.

14. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Ah, ok. He kept saying something about "why would she write that?" and somehow I linked that with the card on the flowers. I had already deleted the episode from my TiVo so I couldn't go back to re-watch that part.

The way they were editing that, though, with his guys loading and setting heavily iced pots and Elliott not really paying attention in the wheelhouse, I thought something bad was going to happen.

15. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    he got "Facebusted"!

16. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Anyone catch the Deadliest Catch The Bait special for the Opie season opening? I missed it...

17. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member TCF Club

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I also didn't hear Elliott denying that he saw another woman, just lamenting all the hard work he's put in in the last couple of years. So did he NOT go stepping out, or did he just get busted.

And while I'm at it, could we just not see any more of that crap with Elliott? I'm guessing a good part of it is manufactured for the show anyway, and I don't find all that entertaining in the least. Ya, it may be a valid part of any crab fisherman's life, but if I wanted a bunch of that, I'd watch almost any drama being broadcast on ABC! :)

18. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    One question - did the Seabrooke catch fish using crab pots? Anyone know how effective that is?

Heck, I didn't know they can catch fish like that - usually it's a long line trawler or something with a huge net off the back, not a bunch of little pots spread out...

19. snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    Yes, they use the same pots, but I believe the openings are somehow reconfigured specifically for catching fish.

20. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Yeah...I remember watching an OLD episode and a lot of the boats fish for cod using the pots but they do something different to the openings so the fish can't swim out.