1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deadliest Catch - OAD 5/28/2013

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TonyTheTiger, May 30, 2013.

1. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Well, it seems that no-one has started a new thread yet, so here goes...

I'm really surprised that Edgar didn't fire Jake as soon as he set foot on land! I can understand Sig not taking action because he wasn't the captain when the incident occurred, but Edgar HAD to fire Jake, so I was shocked when he was even offered the choice of coming back.

I SO wanted Elliot to fail. He and Junior should make interesting viewing at the end-of-season get-together with Mike Rowe!

2. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    I think that meeting was for a TV moment, nothing more. Damn Jake has aged since the show started.

3. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Agree with points.

4. Gene S

Gene S New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Belleville, IL
    I wonder if that's when they all got paid. They all had an envelope with them , and Jake took one when he sat down at the table, and left with it.

5. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I doubt it. I would assume they would get paid before they leave the boat. I highly doubt they even all live anywhere near each other to have a meeting like that. I agree the entire meeting was staged after the fact....probably months after.

6. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    On one of the boats I forget which the Captain said he'll be happy when he's home and his check arrives.

7. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Yeah, they would have to get paid well after they leave the boat. They said on a recent episode that the crab are worthless until they're completely offloaded, so the boat won't get a check from the fishery until all the crab are delivered. Then, the boat owners would have to pay expenses (including salaries), so payday for the crew will not happen until all that occurs. It could easily be weeks before getting paid depending on how slowly the money trickles down and how responsible the boat owners are.

8. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I'll post on the CM facebook page and hope for an answer but I highly doubt anybody leaves Alaska without getting paid (or at least a chunk). I remember past episodes where greenhorns didn't even have money for a plane ticket home which tells me they were banking on a paycheck.

9. Jun 1, 2013 #9 of 21
    Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Well, the fishery may pay NET30. However, remember they do offload in the middle of the season so there's some money coming in during the season. It's just the rest of the pay off the final offload comes afterwards.

10. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I'm certain the meeting we saw was all of the guys gathered to get their pay. The boat pays the crew, then later the sorting factory pays the boat's owner.

11. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Man, what's with the spoilers in next week's show? Just look at the episode description....

12. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    I am going to miss Jake crying, seems like he cries every episode he is in.

Also I wish Eliot would tell us who owns the boat he is piloting.....

13. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
    I think
    Eliot
    owns the boat he is piloting.

14. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    He owns the boat or at least owns part of it. How he got financing for it I'll never know. If I had money to invest I wouldn't give it to him.

15. RickyL

RickyL valar morghulis

Sep 13, 2004
    Indianapolis
    I'm betting he agreed to sign over his payment from Discovery. Maybe that was enough for the bank to take the chance.

16. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    I joke, Eliot mentions every 15 seconds that he owns the boat.

After the disaster of his last season I do not know how he could afford to pay for the trip, never mind buy a boat. Discovery must be involved one way or another.

17. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I got the impression it was Daddy that helped finance the boat and that's why he was on the boat, to keep and eye on his investment.

18. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    I'm sure Daddy helped, but with a repayment of a quarter mil a year, I'm sure it took a little more than that!

It's pretty certain that the paycheck from Discovery would feature in the negotiations to borrow the money to buy and furnish the boat.

19. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yeah, but the Discovery paycheque isn't reliable - Discovery could very well decide that this season is the last because of flagging ratings and cancel it. Or next season. Or maybe some disaster happens that forces a reconsideration and the whole show gets cancelled in a week.

It's great to supplement the income, but I don't think the banks will easily finance based on that - after all, it may be a popular show, but audiences are fickle and this year's hit can be next year's has-been. Or some disaster happens that cancels the show and the rest of the season. If that money dries up, and it formed a good reason for the loan, the bank will get very nervous. It was just like how the Harris boys were claiming they loved TV and its money - if you're running the CM, the TV can turn off at any time and then what?

As for Edgar not firing Jake? Apparently he needed a full crew still (and he was only 2 days out - so it's not like those 2 days will be meaningful).

Edit: I just noticed that the Northwestern has a Linksys wireless router onboard - what's that about? They got marine Internet or something?

20. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    ...and crab fishing IS reliable?????

I would think money from a TV show is more reliable than fishing. The contract will at least cover a season and the money is guaranteed for that period, whether the show is cancelled or not.

Banks are generally not stupid, especially when dealing with things like this. I'm sure the same kind of risk assessors determine the loans as work with farmers and other high-yield, high-risk investments, and I'm sure the interest rates reflect the risk, too!

All this, of course, is pure speculation. Without going through the process, no-one can really know what's involved.