1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Premiere? – no lights at all on front panel

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kettledrum, May 17, 2013.

1. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    I think my Premiere (746320, upgraded to a 2TB HD, with lifetime) may have bit the bullet, but am not quite sure what is wrong with it. The TiVo is completely unresponsive; there are no lights on the front of the unit. Doing a hard reboot of the TiVo yields the same result, it doesn't even get to the first gray screen.

To give a little background, this particular TiVo had been having occasional (a few times a year) problems where I would hit the TiVo button to take it out of standby, and I would get no audio or video signal. All of the lights would light up on the front like normal, and you could see the flashing amber light on the unit in response to the remote, but no audio or video. Originally I would have to reboot the TiVo to get it out of this state. More recently I bought an iPad and I discovered that I could still connect to the TiVo through the iPad and if I browsed to a show on the iPad and tried to play it, then the TiVo would get unstuck and start playing the show and everything would be normal again.

I don’t know if that is a precursor to the unit dying or not, but the TiVo did exhibit this behavior 1 day before it died completely. However, we also had a thunderstorm in the overnight hours on Wednesday night and there was one lightning strike which appeared to have been VERY close by. My TiVo is on an APC battery backup, but for power only, not the ethernet connection, nor the coax coming in from the antenna in the attic (I am OTA only). The rest of my AV setup in that room seems to be okay, although I will admit I have not tested every other component yet.

I opened up the TiVo to check the power supply and I didn’t see any apparent bulging capacitors. I have a Series2 that I have replaced the power supply on and I have seen bulging capacitors in desktop computers before, and I have seen other pictures on how subtle the differences can be, so I think I know what I am looking for there (but I will readily admit I am not infallible). Is it possible the power supply can go bad without any apparent bad capacitors?

I also put the TiVo on a Kill-a-watt and noted that the TiVo is still powering the fan and the HD is still spinning up (I know a PS can be bad with both of those still being powered), and the TiVo was drawing 0.33 amps and between 19.6 and 19.8 watts. I don’t know if that means anything, but I did grab that data.

If I did get a surge through the coax, then would that point to the motherboard being fried & possibly beyond repair?

It seems to me the best course of action would be to try a new PS first, and then if that doesn’t work, to get it diagnosed by Weaknees? Any other ideas? Sorry for the long post!

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If you unit is under 3 years old and you have the original drive, put in the original drive and send it back to TiVo for $150 replacement, no risk doing that way.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Sounds like a PS issue to me. Caps absolutely go bad without bulging, that just means it failed in a way to need to release the pressure

4. reubanks

reubanks New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    SPAM!!!

5. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    Thanks! I was unaware of this as an option. I don't see anything official on the TiVo website about this, but doing a search shows some threads about it. It's something to consider if it turns out to be something other than the PS.

Thanks! I learn something new every day. I'm trying the PS first. Got one ordered off of ebay, but won't be here until next week.

6. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Unless you have a PS handy to try you may spend money for nothing, as the problem could be the MB that can't be fixed, for most people the $150 option is a good deal, I keep extra parts so I could try different options to try to fix a broken TP, and you may be able to get a better price (than the $150) from TiVo by calling.

7. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Fishers, IN
    Thought I should pop back in here and give an update for closure, and possibly to help some other users.

I did find out that there were other specific pieces of my HT setup that were also broken, specifically the HDMI out port on my receiver, a 5 port switch, and one port on my router (the one that was connected to the switch). So now I am pretty sure I was the victim of a lightning strike which entered through the coax.

By the time my PS came in the mail I was fairly sure it wasn't going to help. I was right. The PS I got did absolutely nothing.

So, I called up TiVo and did the replacement, and they did offer me a great deal for only $80, YMMV of course. I have my new TiVo and everything works okay now. I was sad to lose all of my recordings, but I'm getting over it.