1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dbload Troubles

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by judicata, Apr 28, 2012.

1. judicata

judicata New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    For kicks, I'm trying to create a clean 6.4a image for my Series 2 Directivo.

I successfully imaged 64small.mfs onto an 8gb flash drive.

I then transferred the file named "4a-01-2-321.slices.tgz" obtained from the dvrupgrade site onto the flash drive in a directory on the active partition (sda4) called /var/packages. I used tar to extract that file and ended up with the following files in the /var/packages directory: GZCore-1270044-2.slice.gz; GZhpk-Series2-127004588-2.slice.gz; GZkernel-Series2-127004586-2.slice.gz; swsystem-127006885-2.slice.gz; and utils-127004582-2.slice.gz. I gzip'd them so that I had the following slices in /var/packages: GZCore-1270044-2.slice; GZhpk-Series2-127004588-2.slice; GZkernel-Series2-127004586-2.slice; swsystem-127006885-2.slice; and utils-127004582-2.slice. One of the archives I gzip'd must have also had the file "dbload" within it because that file is now also in /var/packages.

I run into trouble trying to dbload the slices. I am accessing the flash drive while booted into Linux using the PTVUpgrade LBA8 Boot CD. After mounting the active partition of the flash drive as /tivo, I change into the directory containing the slices with this command:

cd /tivo/var/packages

I then chmod'd dbload with this command

chmod 755 dbload

I then attempted to dbload each of the slices with this command:

dbload *.slice

I received the following error message:

./dbload: /tvbin/tivosh: No such file or directory
    ./dbload: exec: /tvbin/tivosh: cannot execute: No such file or directory

I then tried the following command:

/tivo/var/packages/dbload *.slice

That resulted in the following error message:

/tivo/var/packages/dbload: /tvbin/tivosh: No such file or directory
    /tivo/var/packages/dbload: exec: /tvbin/tivosh: cannot execute: No such file or directory

All the posts I've read with instructions on using dbload involve accessing bash through telnet. But since I'm doing this with a flash drive, that is not an option.

Can I dbload while booted from PTVUpgrade's LBA48 Boot CD, or does dbload need to be on that CD to work?

Thanks!

2. kenr

kenr New Member

Dec 26, 1999
    Florham...
    I'm not familiar with the environment you're working in. I always thought you needed to use dbload on the TiVo itself, but perhaps this 64small.mfs you're using permits such a thing assuming it's also simulating the MFS on a TiVo.

Regardless, the failure you're are reporting is due to your environment, tivosh is expected at path /tvbin/tivosh and it's not there. I know you'll find it at that location on a TiVo itself.

3. judicata

judicata New Member

Feb 23, 2004