1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

David Pogue review of Mini and Stream

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by dcborn61, Mar 14, 2013.

1. dcborn61

dcborn61 Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Washington, DC
  2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Except for him talking about MoCA adapters and an additional cost. No need for that since both a Premiere 4 and a Mini has built in MoCA. All you need is an ethernet connection to the P4 and then the P4 and Mini can be connected over MoCA.

For some reason he doesn't realize that the Mini can use a MoCA connection. He talks about spending $115 for a pair of MoCA adapters so you can connect the Mini. Which is a needless extra cost.

3. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Did anyone email him?

4. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I emailed him and tweeted to him... no response. Not surprised.

5. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I'll try as well.

6. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If he doesn't reply, the editor might should be contacted since it is incorrect information.

7. weavb013

weavb013 New Member

Nov 28, 2009
    This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: March 15, 2013

An earlier version of this column misstated the number of ActionTec MoCa adapters required to use the new TiVo Mini on a home network. Only one adapter is required, not a pair, and only if the TiVo is not close enough to the network router; otherwise, the TiVo can be plugged directly into the router. In addition, the column referred imprecisely to the compatibility of the Mini with various TiVo Premiere models. While it works with the Premiere 4 and XL4, which require a cable card for reception, it is not compatible with older Premiere models connected to an antenna.

8. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    +1 :up:

9. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Wouldn't zero adapters be required for MOCA since bought elite and mini have it?

10. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Yes, if the Elite is being used as the MoCA bridge. If your Elite is located away from an Ethernet port though you'd still need an adapter to serve as the bridge.

11. Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
    interesting Pogue agrees with me, the subs fees are ridiculous. Why not fees on the stream ? I guess they just give to me for free, after i pay for it.

12. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I got an email back last night around 11pm from him saying he posted the fix up, but it took until sometime today to post (wasn't posted this morning).

13. Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
  14. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    They could have fees for the stream if you want them. Say, $40 up front and $5 per month?

15. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Should I pay a monthly fee to Microsoft or HP because I use my HP laptop to watch Netflix?

TiVo's excuses are just plain stupid.

16. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    All that elimination of the fee would have done is that TiVo would have had to charge even more for the device at retail.

If distributors expect to make a 20% markup and retailers expect to make a 30% markup then TiVo has to sell the hardware for roughly 50% of retail to distributors.

So, when they sell their $99 box for $49 to distributors and then sell someone lifetime service for $149 then TiVo is "netting" about $149 assuming that the Mini costs around $49 to manufacture, package and ship (and considering their small volumes that is entirely possible).

If they sold the box at retail for $199 as many hope, then they would be netting $50 per unit.

Do the math.

Moving the bulk of the "cost" of the Mini to a subscription fee results in a higher profit margin for TiVo.... alternatively if they sold at retail the price might actually be higher than it already is if they are trying to make a specific profit on each unit.

One way of "getting around this" would be if TiVo sold the Mini for a flat retail price but refused to distribute the boxes via resellers like Best Buy and Amazon.

A lot of people are hung up with comparing the cost of the Mini to the cost of ATV or Roku, while failing to acknowledge that neither of those devices allow for real time streaming of ALL of your live and recorded content. Until those things are possible with ATV and Roku it's not really a valid comparison.

17. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Yep. There's a reason that there are really no user friendly (e.g., not Windows Media Center) retail alternatives to TiVo. Its a very tough business to compete with the cable operators generic offerings.

18. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I would have been much happier to see the total cost of the Mini come in at between $149-$199 but I can stomach the $249 price because it still beats the hell out of renting a crappy HD box from Comcrap.