1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dangerous Grounds

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mwhip, Nov 20, 2012.

1. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
  2. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Add another vote. I think it's fantastic.

Here's a really good background story about Carmichael and the series. It calls him the Anthony Bourdain of coffee and that's an accurate concept:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...us_grounds_with_todd_carmichael_reviewed.html

3. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Agree, great show.

Would LOVE to try those coffees, freshly roasted. I wonder if it resembles anything like what I drink.

4. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I love this show. I don't know how much of the "danger" is hype but still it is very interesting from a coffee and a travel standpoint.

5. NashvilleKat

NashvilleKat Retired Old Fart

Dec 24, 2013
    Interesting show and I'm glad to see it is back starting on January 28 for a new season.

6. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    The first season was excellent. It's one of my favorite reality shows.

7. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    Seemed a bit forced and a bit staged to me. I watched one episode. Perhaps the wrong one.

He "had" to trade a bunch of fabric and cloth for a few coffee beans, when honestly I think the guy would have happily let him have some beans as they had tons to share. Had they made it look more like a gift, it would have gone over better IMHO.

Perhaps I should try again.

This show can't have a long life, though, can it? Is it all that different each time?

8. NashvilleKat

Dec 24, 2013
    Sure, I think it is staged and hyped. I can look past that and enjoy the look at different cultures. I particularly enjoy learning about how different coffee beans are from different regions and even different farms in the same area of the same country.

It probably isn't all that interesting to people not into coffee.

There are many coffee growing countries with all kinds of regions within those countries so I can see it going a long time without repeating but you're right that it probably won't hold the interest for long for anyone but coffee tweekers.

9. markp99

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, of course its staged; it's reality TV. ;)

I just enjoy seeing those regions and coffee farms. I'd LOVE to try freshly roasted & brewed coffee, right off-the plant...

10. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I don't drink coffee but I think it's a great show. I look at it as a variation of Anthony Bourdain's travel shows.

I disagree about the staged part. He visits some extremely dangerous places and it's reflected in what happens. There was also one episode where he's in a serious car crash that could have easily killed him and the cameraman. That was when their car went off a cliff in Colombia. I don't think you would want to stage that one.

11. NashvilleKat

Dec 24, 2013
    I don't think every incident of the show is staged but enough of it is till you have to wonder. I remember one episode where he rented a piece of crap truck form a man on the street and starts having all kinds of mechanical issues till finally he calls someone he knows in country that brings him a nice modern truck to finish his quest. LOL

Regardless, I look past all that and enjoy it not for his dangers but for the coffee and culture aspects.

This season, I think I'll buy beans from the country he is going to a few days before the show and experience that coffee myself so maybe I can appreciate what he is finding and seeking in that country. The first show this season is in Mexico.

12. markp99

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    One point they mentioned last season was the beans can go rancid while in bags in the packing houses. I am guessing much of that "bad product" gets shipped and processed. I have to wonder just how much stuff like that gets into and affects the flavor of my Keurig brews ;)

13. NashvilleKat

Dec 24, 2013
    On the coffee forum I use, there is a current thread about a guy being able to buy 20 metric tons of coffee beans for about 8 cents a pound. You just know those are some bad beans.

14. NashvilleKat

Dec 24, 2013
    This show seems to go to pains to point out it is just the host, Todd Carmichael, and a cameraman referred to as "Hollywood". So here is my stupid question and by asking it, it becomes obvious I know nothing about what it takes to record a show like this.

Is it really just Todd and "Hollywood"? No assistants running around? No sound person?

15. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Survivorman does it even without a cameraman or assistants. Dude You're Screwed works with just a single cameraman.

A cameraman can also record sound.

16. NashvilleKat

Dec 24, 2013
    I enjoyed last weeks episode from Brazil probably because I like Brazilian coffee. But, I guess I'm a bad guy because the beans I buy come from one of the big farms.

17. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I love the show and appreciate his focus on small farmers but there's no way that one Brazilian farmer is going to be able to supply more than 1% of the "multi-million dollar deal" that he was doing with Mario. You have to wonder where the other 99% of the beans will come from.

18. NashvilleKat

Dec 24, 2013
    I agree especially through the years. Still, I thought it was a very informative episode.