1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dang DirecTV Wont Cover my Tivo

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ntrprize, Dec 21, 2005.

1. ntrprize

ntrprize Technogeek

Jun 6, 2002
    Man. I am so angry right now. My HD tivo is getting stuck every night and Directv wont do anything to fix it.

Ive been a customer since back in the day when it was DirecTV and USSB. I have 6 Tivo receivers. I buy their Platinum Pack. I get Sunday ticket every year. I dont call up and ask for discounts.

My HD tivo was purchased on 2/2/05. Its still under warranty.It was still $999 when I got it.

Since its getting stuck and missing a bunch of recordings. I call up and ask for a replaceent. Their response? "Sorry sir, we do not replace the HD TiVo units. You will have to buy a new one!" Supervisors response? "Im sorry sir, we just dont replace tivo units because they stop working."

So, who do I go to for warranty work? If it were not for TiVo, I would jump to cable after this. Jeez.

2. miss_my_utv

miss_my_utv New Member

Sep 29, 2005
    If you haven't already, try calling the customer retention reps. I don't have the phone number handy, but I know the latest # was posted not too long ago, so a search of the forum should find it.

Good luck (and please keep us posted in case anyone else has similar issues)...
  3. fliptheflop

fliptheflop New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Here's the number I have for retention 18008249081. Good Luck
  4. Elstevo

Elstevo New Member

Jan 26, 2005
    This is not true.

Call back.
  5. ntrprize

ntrprize Technogeek

Jun 6, 2002
    No luck yet, ill try again tomorrow.
  6. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Well first I'd make sure to refer to it by the model... The "DirecTV HR10-250." Never refer to it as a TiVo, you'll just confuse the CSR's.

It's a DirecTV branded unit under warranty for one year; DirecTV handles warranty replacement. You just have to get past the morons you've reached so far and find someone with a clue.
  7. 1999cobra

1999cobra I HATE Vermont

Nov 9, 2005
    NC -...
    I have a hard time believing that story - if it's under warranty it's covered period!
  8. robertwhee

robertwhee New Member

Mar 10, 2005
    I called for the same problem asked them to replace it and without hesitating the rep said ok and another one was at my house in 2 days. Call back and demand it.
  9. ntrprize

ntrprize Technogeek

Jun 6, 2002
    Seems I made the mistake of letting them know that when I re-boot it, it will run for 4 or 5 hours. They consider that within normal operation.

Its not totally dead yet. Of course, It never makes it to the prime time programs, so I miss all my shows.
  10. edrock200

edrock200 New Member

Feb 7, 2002
    If you've called several times and they keep giving you the "its still within operating limits" runaround do what I do:

Me: "It won't do anything, black screen."
    CSR: "Unplug and..."
    Me: "Did that, nothing, no lights, dead"
    CSR: Try moving it to another..."
    Me: "Did that, nothing no lights, dead"

You get the pattern. I don't encourage this on a first call as sometimes (and a RARE "sometimes" at that) their steps can help. But if your convinced your unit is defective and have done adequate troubleshooting, this is the easiest way to get a replacement quick without spending hours on the phone.
  11. ntrprize

ntrprize Technogeek

Jun 6, 2002
    New Tivo is on the way. 7 - 10 business days is a bummer, but at least its getting replaced. Todays call was much nicer than the people I talked with yesterday.
  12. ntrprize

ntrprize Technogeek

Jun 6, 2002
    I have enought technical knowledge to replace the drives and have done it in my other tivos, but I didnt want to touch this $1000 box until after the warranty expired in case something like this happened. I generally wont call Directv or a computer manufacturer until I know it needs to be replaced.

Im hoping for a new one, but Im sure its probably gonna be refurbished.
  13. scooby_doo_53

scooby_doo_53 New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Lakewood, CO
    Hopefully you won't have to wait 7-10 days. I actually got mine replaced overnight last month. I have the protection plan though, so I'd be curious to see how long it might be before you see yours.
  14. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn New Member

Aug 16, 2002
    I thought the warranty on the HR10-250 was 90 days?
    Is it actually a full year?

(I was thinking about getting the D* Protection Plan because I've had to reboot my HR10-250 twice in the 4 months that I've had it.)

15. TomK

TomK Active Member

May 22, 2001
    The $1000 box that you think you have is really something like a $399-$499 box now. It just goes to show you how quickly prices can drop.
  16. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    I don't think the price dropped real quick.

It took about a year and a half for the price to drop.

With the MPEG-4 switch over coming along I think I'll just wait till it's all switched over before I buy any HDTV recording equipment.
  17. ntrprize

ntrprize Technogeek

Jun 6, 2002
    Well, it didnt take long to get here. Called Thursday afternoon, it was here Friday at noon.

It is a reconditioned unit. I will have to wait until after xmas to get it connected. A little too busy here. Hopefully It works fine.
  18. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    directv warranties a new hr10-250 for a full year when activated on your account.
  19. runboyrun

runboyrun New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    I have a faulty drive on my 4 month old HR10-250 I purchased for $499. I phoned DTV last Thursday and told them and what they said to me was give us the account number and access card number and they will ship one to my address of choice( not my home address but my winter condo where I am). All that's required of me is to ship the original to them in a package DTV will provide. Couldn't be more pleased with that.
  20. PMKMDJ

PMKMDJ New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Omaha, NE

Just be sure to hang on to your tracking number when you return the bad unit. That's your only recourse if they say you didn't return it.