1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dads- Season 1 Thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by aadam101, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Oct 3, 2013 #1 of 15
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'm not sure why I felt the need to call this a Season 1 thread. I can't imagine a world where this will see a second season. Seth MacFarlane is involved in this? I have a hard time believing it. I feel like maybe he came to FOX with a show and they changed it into whatever this POS is. It was terrible.

I was really really trying to find something to laugh at and I just couldn't. The cast is wonderful and very talented. Doesn't Giovanni Ribisi have an Oscar? I can't believe he would stoop to this.

Is anyone else watching?

2. Oct 3, 2013 #2 of 15
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't think it's *terrible*, but it's not very good. I'm still going to *probably* keep recording it (but probably offload to a hard drive), to keep for leaner new-TV times. I did cancel my "Mom" SP last night, however.

Even though it's not very good, I like Seth Green and some of the other actors.

3. Oct 4, 2013 #3 of 15
    kdmorse

kdmorse Active Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I kinda liked it at first. But my opinion of it is gradually sliding downhill...

There's a part of me that enjoys the way they pick a absurd premise, and then beat it to death for 22 minutes, well beyond the point of absurdity. But the idea's wearing thin...

4. Oct 4, 2013 #4 of 15
    Supfreak26

Supfreak26 Go Cowboys!

Dec 12, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    My problem with this show is the laugh track. It blasts after every. Single. Line.

Unbearable.

5. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    This week's episode with the prostate exam was some of the funniest television I have seen in a long time!

6. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Loved it! Ribisi can be comic genius. The looks on his face were classic. Then the way that played out was hilarious. THEN, everybody else ends up in the room too. OMG - great stuff.

I've been watching 'My Name is Earl' on TBS lately and Ribisi is on some of the episodes. He can play anything.

7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Terrible show. I'll watch any sitcom, but this just isn't funny. SP was deleted after a few eps, although I still catch it every now & then (and it's STILL not remotely funny). Nonetheless...

FOX picks up a full season of 'Dads'

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/fox-picks-up-a-full-season-of-dads

I love this blurb:

So it beat #11.:rolleyes:

Through its first three telecasts, "Dads" is averaging a 2.2 rating among adults 18-49 for Live+7 figures. In its most recent Live+SD airing, "Dads" averaged 3.42 million viewers and a 1.5 rating among adults 18-49.

8. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
  9. StacieH

StacieH betativowho??

Jan 2, 2009
    Between San...
    I do, too, which surprises me. I don't like Family Guy or American Dad.

10. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I don't *really* like it, but I'm still keeping it, unlike Mom, the Millers, or The Goldbergs. Off the top of my head, and I'm probably forgetting some, there are only 2-3 new sitcoms that are 'any good'.. and Dads is on the low end of that scale. I'm still recording Trophy Wife, but I think I finally axed my "Back in the Game" one, since it isn't very funny..

This year seems to have more new dramas that were entertaining, though I'm not keeping up on all of them.. (have several unwatched Sleepy Hollows, at the very least, haven't watched ANY of the show after Revenge)

11. Supfreak26

Supfreak26 Go Cowboys!

Dec 12, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    I bailed on this after 2 eps. Just couldn't handle the obnoxious laugh track. Plus I didn't find it funny. And I love Family Guy.

12. fmowry

fmowry Active Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Couldn't even make it past 1 episode for the exact same reason. The laugh track was so intrusive it was strange. Especially for a show that just didn't have many funny lines. I can ignore the laugh track on almost any other show that is mildly amusing.

I actually like the cast so it was even more disappointing that it was so bad.

13. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I almost bailed but it has gotten funnier as it goes. The prostate exam episode was one of the funniest things I have ever seen on TV.

14. type_g

type_g Member

Sep 9, 2002
    The show starts out by saying it is recorded in front of a live studio audience i don't think there is a laugh track. but i am with you.

15. fmowry

fmowry Active Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Being recorded live and having a laugh track aren't mutually exclusive.

It might be recorded in front of a live studio audience but they probably didn't laugh at all (like me and you) and then the laugh track was added. And poorly.