1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current info on MSD substitutions?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bmgoodman, Jul 15, 2014.

1. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    Several years ago, I bought a Premiere for a big discount, back before Tivo Inc made a big stink about NOT allowing those cheap units to be swapped into existing $6.95/mo MSD grandfather slots. I had intended to use this Premiere when my Tivo HD finally had a problem, but the darn thing kept running like a champ until this week.

Now I can either swap in a new 2 TB WD HDD I had also bought on sale long ago (planning too far ahead) or I can break out this now old "new" Premiere and put the 2 TB drive into it and try to swap it into my $6.95/mo MSD slot in place of the Tivo HD.

So I'm wondering now how much of a challenge I should expect to upgrade to the Premiere and keep my $6.95/mo rate. It it's a hassle, I'd just as soon just replace the HDD in the Tivo HD.

Does anyone have any somewhat recent experience in this area?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Not sure. They let me switch my $6.95 rate I had on a Premiere to a Roamio Basic. And then they gave me lifetime on the Premiere for only $99.