1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curious MOCA Bridge Behavior

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by k2ue, Nov 30, 2012.

1. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    I had thought the MOCA bridging in my new XL4 would solve the problem of providing internet connections to my other entertainment hardware, but even with reserved addresses at my router for all of the gear, when the TiVo reboots (like for an update) all the other gear loses their ethernet connections until they are each rebooted. I would have thought they would be reconnected at their old (reserved) addresses after the TiVo completed its reboot. Anybody understand why this happens?

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    When I reboot my Elite, the equipment connected via ethernet loses connection until the reboot is done. Afterwards, they all get back their same reserved (or DHCP) IP addresses.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have a bunch of stuff connected through the MoCa bridge on my Elite and everything works fine after a reboot. It takes a little bit for the TiVo to reboot and for the MoCa to sync up with the other end, but once it does everything works fine.

Dan

4. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    Well, it's not working for me: the laptop I have next to my chair and connected to a switch on the XL4 ethernet out loses its connection (until rebooted), and so does Slingbox I use to watch the TiVo at home office desk. What you are reporting is what I expected.

5. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    Well that gives me hope -- that it's working for others -- but I still to to figure out what is causing the lack of reconnection here.

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    What are you using to connect all of the devices to the XL4? A switch or hub or router or ?

7. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    A 10/100 switch.

8. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    That's what I'm using. My switch is a cheap d-link unmanaged switch. The only thing I can think of to try is to remove the switch and plug one item into the XL4 and see if it works properly after a reboot, or try another switch.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You say you're reserving IPs, not using static IPs. Which means your router is still involved. Next time this happens try rebooting the router, instead of the devices, and see if that helps. If it does then it might be time to get a different router.

Dan

10. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    The router is a Linksys E4200 with the latest firmware, which you would think would be OK. I'll try the router reboot next time.

11. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    Are you all saying you use the XL as a MoCA to 100BASE-TX ethernet bridge?

12. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    Correct. That is an explicitly stated function of the Premier 4 and Elite/XL4.