1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curiosity on Discovery and related channels - all eps, all seasons

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1 of 10
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
  2. Oct 9, 2012 #2 of 10
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Plane Crash:

For as much planning as they said went into it (supposedly years of planning), and how tight the timing had to be, there were some really stupid decisions. For instance, once they found that they needed a turbo-prop like the Marchetti, they didn't go and find a backup turbo-prop plane, or... you know... a full set of spare parts for the Marchetti?

And really, the little RF transmitter in the handheld remote control - there wasn't anything with a longer range that they could have sourced? Also, they couldn't have removed the little antenna on the control and wired it into a larger externally mounted antenna they could attach external to the chase plane?

And really, with as good as computer-based physics modeling, I wonder how much novel data they were really able to gather with this stunt. I would imagine that you could virtually model a crash and get virtually the same data.

3. Oct 9, 2012 #3 of 10
    taronga

taronga Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Kentucky
    Does anyone's Tivo actually call this show "Curiosity"? Mine just says "Plane Crash".

4. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    In Canada, Discovery Canada properly shows it as Curiosity, episode title "Plane Crash".

Heck, I put a Season Pass on it and it gets it all for me.

Probably because Discovery Canada and Discovery Channel are related channels, but don't show the same programming or even share the same air dates, so whoever does the Discovery Canada guides gets nicely listed data.

5. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    When I recorded the ep, it came up as an ep of Curiosity. Currently, it shows no upcoming eps of Curiosity involving any plane crash.

When I do a search by title, I see what you're talking about. There are a whole bunch of upcoming eps of the show titled "Plane Crash". They all appear to be reruns of the Curiosity Plane Crash ep.

6. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    As far as previous remote-controlled plane crash experiments, they talk about the failed one from the 60s? that you often see (including as the "in-flight entertainment" in the movie Airplane). The show kept saying it was the only test of its kind before this one.

But wasn't there a more recent government remote-controlled-crash test of a full size passenger jet, perhaps from the 1990s? IIRC that too didn't go as planned and they didn't get as much useful data as they would have liked.

Or was the footage they showed from the more recent test?

7. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    As I recall, there was a remote-controlled crash of an airliner (by NASA?) quite a while ago to test a fuel formulation that was designed to not combust on a crash. It failed.

Mike

8. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think that was the footage they used. If memory serves, they specifically talked about the crash they were showing being designed to shear off the engines, and the crash failed and that didn't happen.

9. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I think you're referring to the 1984 crash test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_Impact_Demonstration) that was mentioned in the ep.

10. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I've finished watching it. It was pretty decent and well put together and edited.
    Yeah, I also wondered about some of the other planes that I saw and what appeared to be chase planes getting footage from different angles. Were those the same speed or slower than the Cessna? I wonder why they didn't pick a faster plane to begin with.

Ditto about the remote. One would think they could've modified to transmit at a higher wattage or something.

I was surprised to see an engine running at full throttle afterward. Good job on there not being a fire afterward.

I had no idea the other landing gears were designed to break off.