1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cult 2/19/13 "You're Next"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Holy crap, IT'S ABOUT US! They made a TV show about US!!! :D

2. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I enjoyed it. But I don't know if it's really good or not. I'm blinded by my love of Alona Tal.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    She is almost supernatural...

4. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    She most certainly is!

:) I see what you did there

5. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I set my DVR to record this. I know it has a guy in it that was in Vampire Diaries. Is it a spinoff of that show or is it a completely different show?

6. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It's a spin-off of Farscape.

Sort of.

(The creator of that show was inspired by the...intensity of its online fans to create this show.)

7. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Thanks for the reminder. I intended to set up an SP for this but never did. Fortunately it's being repeated Friday nights, so far.

8. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Well, I used a phone app to set my DVR to record the show. I look at my DVR and it isn't there.

That is what I hate about that phone app. I don't really have anyway of knowing if it actually set a recording when it said it did. :mad:

Off to steal it off usenet. :)

9. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I haven't watched this yet but I do have this saved.

I was going to take a pass on this but changed my mind because of Alona Tal.

However, with a 0.3 rating in the 18 t0 49 demo, even for the CW that's low and I have doubts about the series longevity.

10. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched it last night. Not really sure what I thought about it. Just seemed really weird. I feel like I have to keep watching it just to see if I can figure out what the show is supposed to be.

11. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I think they are rerunning the Pilot on Friday the 22nd if you missed it.

12. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    It seemed too complex and confusing for the American audience. I have to watch it again, but I suspect that most viewers have been turned off by it. Too bad.

13. Lee 2.0

Lee 2.0 Hoopy frood

Jul 10, 2012
    Lazlo's...
    What? WHAT? How did I not know this?!

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think it's also too indescribable. Shows that can't be explained with a tagline tend not to make it. But even professional critics seem to have trouble describing it in a full review (I've seen a couple who seem to think the show is about a cult led by the Robert Knepper character).

15. Joules1111

Joules1111 Not Drawful

Jul 21, 2005
    And how do you know it isn't???

Hmmmmmm.......

16. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    So I saw this last night, and I really think it missed the mark. It really didn't provide enough on the actual cult so that the clues and such they found seemed to be nonsensical. The plot points were pretty dumb, especially the guy finding the DVD ROM in the book of cult doodles and cut-outs. So he was supposed to find it but not actually DO anything with it, like play it? Just stoopid. And the cop having a tattoo of the show's logo on her forearm where she ALWAYS has to worry about it being exposed? STOOPID!

And the whole feel of it just doesn't seem... sinister enough? Dark enough? It just feels too cookie cutter production-wise.

I'll give it an episode or so more before condemning the SP.

17. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Yeah I was mostly just confused like there is an in joke and I am too stupid to figure it out.

It didn't help that I watched it right after watching this weeks The Following episode.

18. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    I didn't know much about this show in advance but I checked it out because it seemed like something I might.

Now that I've watched the first episode I still don't really know much about it, but I was kind of glad when it ended.

Will give it a couple more episodes to find its groove.

19. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    The whole "nervously look around while pulling down your sleeve" while sitting alone in your car seemed totally ridiculous.

20. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, if you're looking for the leader of a cult, Robert Knepper is a good choice.

Alona Tal was on Ferguson the other night and said that she likes the fact that she's playing two parts on this show.

I also share in the confusion as to where this show is going and what exactly it is about but I'm willing to give it a few more episodes.