1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crummy power supplies!?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Gerhard, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Gerhard

Gerhard New Member

Sep 29, 2002
    So,

I call TiVo today as one of my Premiers is continuously rebooting at the TiVo Welcome screen. (It's the familiar clicking of the a hard disk...)

Anyway, tech support tells me that it MUST be plugged into an outlet, as a power strip provides to much resistance, and will prevent the tivos power supply from working.

I say to the guy "you mean 10-300 ohms of copper wire breaks a TiVo?"

I then ask about UPSes and he tells me that all UPSes are "approved."

So I ask if the includes any UPSes that have a stepped wave form, as opposed to a true sine wave.

Question:

Are TiVo premiers really that flakey? Or was technical support smoking a little weed?

The answer effects if we start looking for another solution.

2. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012
    It amazes me what type of total B.S. tivo's customer support can come up with just to get you off the phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

3. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Sounds like a tech rep who doesn't quite understand the issues.

It is the case that a malfunctioning power strip or UPS can cause problems for a TiVo (or anything) and that plugging the TiVo into an outlet should eventually be part of the investigatory process for problems like yours, if only to try the no-cost options before telling you to replace the TiVo.

You have to realize that the TiVo rep absolutely CANNOT talk about the most likely problems and solutions here: namely a bad disk or power supply that can be replaced. Unlike desktop PC's, TiVos are not approved for the consumer opening them up (power supplies/capacitors are not shielded.) Therefore, legal liability issues prevent any representative of TiVo from even suggesting that a disk could be replaced. So they have to spend their time on much less probable causes like bad power strips. They're only other option is to tell you to replace the TiVo.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm running S2s and S3s plugged into a power strip plugged into a UPS with no ill effects, and it's not a super-expensive pure sine wave UPS, either, just your average APC or equivalent.

5. Gerhard

Gerhard New Member

Sep 29, 2002
    Well,

I just ordered the latest 6 tuner unit and will just put a drive in the other one...

...or maybe I'll take it to work, plug it into a powerstrip, and then blow it up while we take a high speed film of it. We'll call it "TiVo and you - When power strips are counter-indicated."

Maybe my boss will approve it? Can't hurt to ask... make a hell of an internet post.

6. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    They were smoking weed. We have a TiVo call center in Ft. Collins north of Denver, in Colorado, pot capital of the world.

-Sent using two cans and a string, or by doting and dashing in Morse code on my prison wall using my tin cup.

7. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You're not getting it...
    It's a standard troubleshooting step to make sure the user has nothing in the path between the outlet and the Tivo, while the CSR didn't have the right logic as to WHY, they were 100% in the right as to the need to go through the step.

CSRs have scripts they have to go through to troubleshoot problems, while they are allowed more freedom to vary from it in many companies the script is where they start. I'm not saying it's good, just saying that's how it works.