1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COX NoVA adding over 50 channels to SDV! TA coming "later this year"

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by milo99, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Oct 27, 2008 #1 of 114
    milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    McLean, VA
    Just got home today to find the attached letter in my mailbox (yes, i accidentally ripped it thinking it was junkmail).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can view the larger image and zoom it in here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/papasavvas/Album1#5261962114180308306

unbelievable. This right after they get fined by the FCC. But the "good news" is that the TA is supposedly coming out "later this year" ...and they do confirm that it is going to be free.

siggghhhhhh

2. Oct 28, 2008 #2 of 114
    rainbow

rainbow Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Does/will Verizon Fios require a 'Tuning Adapter' as well? I am assuming that a tuning adapter is different than a cable card.

3. Oct 28, 2008 #3 of 114
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    A tuning adapter provides the back channel for SDV requests. The cablecard decrypts encrypted programming.

FIOS doesn't (yet) provide SDV. They have plenty of bandwidth tot he home, and what they would otherwise provide "switched" (such as VOD) they are providing with IPTV to their boxes.

4. Oct 28, 2008 #4 of 114
    Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    This is so much horse sh*t.

I only get IFC, Sundance, and the Encore channels because I subscribe to a pay movie tier (for me, Starz). So they are essentially moving premium pay channels to SDV.

And I expressly pay $2/mo for the "Digital Variety" tier that includes BBC America and essentially half of the rest of this list. BBC America! We watch probably 5 series on BBCA. What the F' will I do without TopGear??

I'm cancelling every "additional" service I have, since I can no longer enjoy them. Bastards.

5. Oct 28, 2008 #5 of 114
    milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    McLean, VA
    well, we have till 12/2 ...although i'm curious what the timing will be with the TA's availability. I'd like to call customer service and ask them, but of course, that would assume they actually know anything. :rolleyes:

6. Oct 28, 2008 #6 of 114
    TheLongshot

TheLongshot New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Yeah, I got the letter yesterday as well. I think the CSRs are going to get a call from me about the availability of the tuning adapter or else I'll be giving Verizon a call. They shouldn't be pulling this crap.

7. Oct 28, 2008 #7 of 114
    rainbow

rainbow Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Ok, this is confusing me now. I currently only have Cox extended basic, which is analog. I have been thinking of moving over to Fios at some point.

I have a Tivo series 2, and a tivo series 3.

In checking Fios online, they have listed the following info for their Digital Adapter.

Digital Adapter
    View programs from our large selection of Local, Premier, Premium, and National Standard Definition Channels.
    Basic user Interface will show Channel Number, Clock and parental controls.
    Will not support Video on Demand and Impulse Pay-Per-View, Advanced “Mercury" Interactive Program Guide, FiOS TV Interactive Parental Control, Home Media DVR, Media Manager and Widgets.
    Dimensions: W: 5.5 in. D: 6.5 in. H: 1.75 in.

They also list as part of their equipment either a "standard def" at $5.99/month, or a "high Def" set top box @ $9.99/month. I have been assuming my Tivos would work instead of having to get either of these, but now am not sure.

Would i then need the digital adapter and/or their set top box as well; or does a cable card for the tivos work instead of those 2 things.

(Ok, I know I could call Verizon and ask those questions, but i don't want to get into the 'sales' loop with them right now. so figured all you knowlegable people would be able to answer my questions pretty quickly.)

8. Oct 28, 2008 #8 of 114
    jcaudle

jcaudle Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    I called them last night and got nothing out of them. They don't know squat! TivoJerry saw my post in the Cox Cable Card thread that I had made right after I got the darn letter. He wanted a copy of it so I sent him a link to your copy of it at the top of this thread. Maybe Tivo can shake them loose.

9. Oct 28, 2008 #9 of 114
    milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    McLean, VA
    did they even know about the offer for a free HD receiver? i wonder if this is something that can be added on top of the 2 cablecard outlets for free. So that i can use the Tivo for normal, then the other receiver when i want to access the other channels.

10. Oct 28, 2008 #10 of 114
    jcaudle

jcaudle Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    I called, and then I went to the Cox service center in Kingstowne, near Alexandria. I wasn't interested in the HD or digital set top box since they didn't give me the ability to record these channels.

Cox was talking mostly to Tivo Customers, since very few people use Cable Cards in their TVs even if they are cable card ready. Therefore most cable card customers are by definition Tivo users.

Their solution in this letter should have been one temporary and one permanent:

1. Temporary: Give all Tivo customers the option for free Scientific Atlanta DVR until the tuning adapter is available. To me a regular HD or digital set top box isn't acceptable, since it still doesn't give me the ability to record those channels.

2. Permanent: of course issue tuning adapter...but why can't they give a definate date? If they are going to give them out by the end of the year like their letter says then they most certainly have estimated the quantity they needed, and have an estimated delivery date.

The other question is, why didn't they delay taking these channels away until after the tuning adapter was available SINCE THEY SAY ITS DUE BY THE END OF THE YEAR. Why does the SDV change have to be implemented by Dec 2? Sorry just venting my frustration. If FiOs were available or DirecTV had home media options on their DVRs I might consider them and dump Cox.

11. Oct 29, 2008 #11 of 114
    wierdo

wierdo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Arkansas, US
    That's a very good question. What exactly are they going to do with the 4 or 5 QAMs they'll free up by removing those channels early.

Most likely it has more to do with some manager responsible for the SDV decision trying to look good to the execs.

You gotta have something to go on the powerpoint slides, you know?

12. Oct 30, 2008 #12 of 114
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    most likely answer as to why they can't delay the sdv launch channel contracts

Why should they give free dvr's would you want free dvr service also?

13. Oct 30, 2008 #13 of 114
    jcaudle

jcaudle Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    I don't really want their crappy DVR but they should get of their ass and get the Tuning adapter out. They are the ones taking away channels. I hope FiOs gets here soon. As soon as it does, I will dump Cox. Better internet service anyway.

14. Oct 30, 2008 #14 of 114
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    motrola probably can't make them fast enough

15. Oct 30, 2008 #15 of 114
    phoenixZed

phoenixZed New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    I got this letter as well and spent some time on the phone with them today. After being passed from tech support, to billing, and finally to sales, I got a rep who had seen the letter, but couldn't give me any more definite information. I asked to be added to as a tester, but was told they didn't have a customer beta program, since they have "over 1000 employees in NoVa and some of them are bound to have a TiVo". I pressed him for a better ETA for the TA and was told, "hopefully Christmas". Somehow I don't have a lot of faith in Santa Cox... :(

16. Oct 31, 2008 #16 of 114
    milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    McLean, VA
    anybody here a lawyer? or know someone in the media?

I'd love for someone to sue cox with a cease-and-desist on rolling out SDV until the TA is available.

or if somebody knows anybody in the media, preferably TV, that would love to do a story on say, Cox screwing their customers even after being fined by the FCC? or at least threaten to do report a story on it.
    :)

I've been going through their website and found 2 contacts:

Janet H. Barnard
    Senior Vice President and General Manager, Northern Virginia
    (no phone listed)

Media contact:
    Northern Virginia
    Kathryn Falk
    VP, Public and Government Affairs
    (703) 480-5248
    kathryn.falk@cox.com

I think their corporate # is: (404) 843-5000

I'm trying to think what would be the best way for a large number of people to voice complaints. And if anybody here has a job in a high position, that tends to help. For example, a customer calling to complain who is the CEO of ABC inc, carries more weight than just an ordinary Joe.

17. Oct 31, 2008 #17 of 114
    jcaudle

jcaudle Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Actually here its the Scientific Atlanta tuning adapter.

18. Oct 31, 2008 #18 of 114
    EvilYankeeFan

EvilYankeeFan New Member

Jun 19, 2008
    This is a good idea though I'm thinking my best method for complaining is just to dump their sorry...well. Reading all of this and looking at what I'm paying might have just put me over the edge. Stinks too as I really don't want satellite again and Cox is the only cable provider in my apt complex. I'd go completely online, but I love my sports. Decisions decisions.

19. Oct 31, 2008 #19 of 114
    milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    McLean, VA
    i switched from Directv cuz the HD dish wouldn't fit on my balcony (i live in a condo). So for me to get HD programming, Cox is my only choice. So i can't really dump them. plus, i still have two years on my tivo subscription that'd be going to waste.

20. Oct 31, 2008 #20 of 114
    spitoon

spitoon New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    This past Tuesday I went to the Cox facility in Herndon and turned in my cable cards for
    their HD tuner and 6 months of free service as I did not want to miss the programs on the tiers that I subscribe to. My monthly bill will decrease significantly and I have access to
    all of the channels offered. I will revisit the situation in six months when things sort themselves out.