1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cox is asking a lot of questions about TiVo...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by BrettStah, May 4, 2006.

1. May 4, 2006 #1 of 90
    BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Got an email from Cox (we have broadband and phone service through them, but no TV service - we have DirecTV with multiple DirecTivo units instead).

The email requested that I take an online survey, which for some strange reason (for me anyway) I actually decided to do. Here's one of the questions (this popped up shortly after answering questions about DirecTV being my TV provider) - emphasis added by me:
    There were a lot of other TiVo-related questions... how important certain features are, would I be willing to have one of their current DVRs if the price was $3 cheaper than what I'm paying now, etc.

Anyway, I did a quick search here for "cox" and didn't find anything that seemed similar, but if it's a duplicate just ignore!

2. May 4, 2006 #2 of 90
    ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Um, no, it's not a duplicate. Can you post a link to the survey?

Anybody else in the Cox footprint get this email/survey?

3. May 4, 2006 #3 of 90
    Puppy76

Puppy76 Active Member

Oct 6, 2004
    You're probably not supposed to post stuff from the survey, but great news for us :D

Good to hear another cable company is considering it. It's a HUUUUUUUUGE deal for me now. I would never consider a non-Tivo cable/satelite box. (Which is why I'd never consider Dish or DirectTV now.)

Given how little Tivo apperently charges to license their software, I'm baffled as to why everyone's not using it. They'd have fewer support calls, happier customers, etc. All for what, a few bucks a month? Out of already completly outragous prices?

4. May 4, 2006 #4 of 90
    BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    I don't think it'd do any good... I just tried the same link again, and I get this:

5. May 4, 2006 #5 of 90
    BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    I read everything carefully, including the original email... there was never any request to not mention anything in the survey.

6. May 4, 2006 #6 of 90
    half.italian

half.italian New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Can you post the dead link and the content of the email?

It'll help a tiny bit to prove it's not just a rumor.

7. May 4, 2006 #7 of 90
    BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    You caught me, half-italian... I registered here in November of 2000, in anticipation of this very day, upon which I would pretend to have received a survey from Cox Cable that mentions TiVo in many of the questions.

I really thought my ruse would have lasted longer, too. There goes the last 5.5 years of my life, and over 4,000 posts for nothing!!! Curse you, half.italian! I would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for you meddling kids!

:)

8. May 4, 2006 #8 of 90
    half.italian

half.italian New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    I knew that was coming... Sorry. I saw your profile and thought twice. But this is HUGE news.

9. May 4, 2006 #9 of 90
    Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    hahaha brettstah quietly stalks the tivocommunity waiting to POUNCE...

have to say cool news, wish it was cablevision though...stuck with them...
    BUT have to say i was approached by a verizon rep AT my house explaining they are getting into the cable bizz and they'll be testing it in my area end of may, giving the whole sales pitch then brought up stuff about tivo...and I asked if it was just a DVR or actual tivo and he was like uh yea TIVO...

sooooooooo what was your answer to that question? how likely would u be to switch?

10. BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    OK, I hadn't deleted the email yet... here it is (although this stuff is easily faked :)):

11. BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    I chose whatever the most positive answer was ("Very likely", I think), because the only annoying thing with my current setup is the signal issues I've had (tree branches, big summer storms, etc.). It's not unbearable, but *if* I could get the same Tivo service more reliably via Cox, I would most likely do that.

One big concern I would have would be the hardware that would be used. Here are the questions:

1) Can I upgrade the recording capacity like I can with my DirecTivos?

2) Can I operate two or more boxes in the same room like I can with my DirecTivos?

12. half.italian

half.italian New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    True. But a little credence is better than none. Come to think of it though, it's not as big as I thought. Cox was mentioned as the initial distributor of CNET's "On-Demand Experience" Just never thought of it that way. Cool thanks!

13. TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006
    Cox's depiction and demo of its current dual tuner HD DVR doesn't go into much detail. It will be interesting to compare TiVo's Series 3 with Cox's box both for pricing and features. Competing cable boxes can provide the most accurate comparisons between different DVR platforms because they compete in the same viewing environment. Providing software for cable and satellite boxes is probably one of the best business models for TiVo.

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
  15. Todd

Todd Gee thanks Jeremy...

Oct 7, 1999
    S.E. Virginia
    This is great news if COX decided to license TiVo software. Their current Motorola DVR isn't horrible, but it pales in comparision to TiVo.

16. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    Now that I am logged in an it knows what forum I am trying to post a message tolet us try this again.

I have found the survey

http://surveys.surveynetwork.com/wire/29118111/web/main.php

NOTE: In order to view/complete the survey multiple times your cookies will need to be cleared. Also this is a survey sent out by Cox to conduct Market Reasearch. Please note this when looking at the survey. I am not sure if your survey if completed would be included or not as it does not have an ID number attached to it, but please act like it will.

17. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
  18. jfh3

jfh3 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Interesting that most of the questions have to deal with how much the user knows about standard Tivo features.

19. BrettStah

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Wow! I didn't expect this! Can I charge money for autographs yet? :D