1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COX Channel Lineup Move - Not available yet on TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mmf01, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1 of 180
    mmf01

mmf01 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Orange...
    COX just moved all HD channels to the 1,000's as of today, 12/06/2011. Connected to TiVo service, reset tuning adapter, rebooted the box and STILL no channel lineup change has occurred.

Anyone else in a COX market having this problem?

2. Dec 6, 2011 #2 of 180
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Orange County, CA?
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21285611#post21285611

3. Dec 6, 2011 #3 of 180
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes the AVS Forum thread above is the most relevant. Unfortunately Cox did not leave the channels in 700+ range in the channel map for a while (which they could have done) so until zap2it.com gets their act together and updates the lineup we are SOL. This despite several people having submitted a lineup change request a few days ago with a link to pdf of updated lineup. Other Cox markets have gone through this before so one would think the process would be streamlined by now...

For now I'm resorting to consulting To Do List and cancelling all recordings on 700+ channels and setting up manual recordings in their place. Hope to not have to be doing that for several days.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #4 of 180
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Until Cox responds to Tribune nothing will happen. Tribune will rarely make a lineup change without verifying it with the provider. So users can submit the lineups a million times and Tribune will send a single request to Cox to verify. For some reason Cox seems to be the worst of the providers with slow lineup changes. My guess is they have no organizational policy in place to provide Tribune with the changes.

5. Dec 6, 2011 #5 of 180
    mmf01

mmf01 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Orange...
    Yup. Thanks very much for the link. :)

Thanks everyone. Good to know I'm not alone here. I opened a ticket with TiVo Support. Will let everyone know what they come back.

6. Dec 6, 2011 #6 of 180
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cox Arizona made the change over very painlessly, by leaving both 700's and 1000's active for several months. There was guide data on both channels and you could record from either set.

7. Dec 6, 2011 #7 of 180
    tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Cox Orange County could have done something that classy, but they decided to go the route they usually do: lousy
    No listings as of 9am PST
    and no idea about those "special" new channels we have been attempting to tell the FCC about (who, at least in my case, haven't responded to my complaint)
    there's always terrestrial I suppose

8. Dec 6, 2011 #8 of 180
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    A lot of people are "cutting the cord" these days, but it still amazes me that so many people will put up with almost anything from their cable company. I guess that's why the cable companies have so little respect for their customers. Things will get even worse if they can get Congress to kill over-the-air TV.

9. Dec 6, 2011 #9 of 180
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, that is what I posted *should* have been the right approach for Cox OC. It really doesn't hurt Cox at all to do that - have 2 sets of channel numbers pointing to same frequency for a while until the dust settles. It would help the transition for users of their own set top boxes as well. But I put more of the blame on TiVo and Tribune for not updating things on time even though several people submitted the request for it several days ago... Given all the Cox markets that have already done this switch it should be no surprise by now and should be a lot more seamless.

10. Dec 6, 2011 #10 of 180
    LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    It couldn't hurt to send a message on Twitter to @CoxOCHelp and @tivo both. Sometimes a little public pressure will get more attention than support tickets (though we should do those too).

ETA: Also tweeted to @tivodesign and @coxorangecounty.

11. Dec 6, 2011 #11 of 180
    mmf01

mmf01 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Orange...
    Good idea! I just sent them a message. Let's see if they pass the buck back and forth.

12. Dec 6, 2011 #12 of 180
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    TiVo can only do what users can do. That is, they send the request to Tribune. Cox still has to verify the changes. At the end of the day, until Cox works with Tribune, it will not get changed.

13. Dec 6, 2011 #13 of 180
    LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    I think we all need to bug them until they do whatever it is they need to do -- be persistent so our tickets get elevated, bug them in public on Twitter and Facebook, etc.

ETA: Facebook page is here -- http://www.facebook.com/CoxOrangeCounty

14. Dec 6, 2011 #14 of 180
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The lineup change requests included a PDF file directly from Cox OC web site with the lineup updates, so it's not like Tribune has no proof of any change:
    http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residential/datasheet/orangecounty/hd_channellineup_oc.pdf
    I'm sure Cox deserves their share of blame, but TiVo and Tribune are not blameless here either. Luckily there's not a lot on TV right now so I guess it's a blessing Cox OC is doing this around this time rather than during Fall Season Premiere time frame. I only had to setup 6 manual recordings for tonight. Tomorrow and Thursday will be more painful though if it hasn't been corrected by then.

15. Dec 6, 2011 #15 of 180
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I agree that it should be proof. But history shows that major lineup changes have to be verified by the provider. Tribune will leave the channels wrong for months if Cox doesn't communicate with them. It has happened in the past several times. TiVo has already sent the information to Tribune as have users apparently. There's really nothing else for TiVo to do.

16. Dec 6, 2011 #16 of 180
    LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    Our evidence of this is what, exactly?

Until proven otherwise, both TiVo and Cox are to blame for this, and I think we need to keep pressure up on both of them to fix it.

17. Dec 6, 2011 #17 of 180
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    When you fill out the form on tivo.com for the lineup. It is sent directly to Tribune. This is how it has always worked. You get notification when it is sent by TiVo to Tribune (usually the same day or day after).

18. Dec 6, 2011 #18 of 180
    LynnL999

LynnL999 Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Irvine,...
    Maybe. But I'm not willing to let TiVo off the hook here. It's their customers -- all of them in a given area -- who stand to be inconvenienced. If something isn't happening, they can get someone on the phone and at least make an effort to work with them on behalf of their customers.

19. Dec 6, 2011 #19 of 180
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The onus is on TiVo to follow up and correct the problem. Part of the service fee we pay is for guide listings. It doesn't really matter where they get the guide listings from or what part of the process is stalled, Tivo is responsible for getting a fix for the problem even if it's just getting Cox and Tribune to communicate in a timely manner.

20. Dec 6, 2011 #20 of 180
    mmf01

mmf01 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Orange...
    Agreed. Seems ridiculious we have to tell TiVo about lineup changes. You'd think Tribune and the cable companies would be in sync with these changes. From what understand, Tribune is not exclusive TiVo, so others users of Tribune's data are likely impacted as well.

And...Just heard back from TiVo support, and apparently they can't / won't access a PDF file to see the changes. Classic! So I just replied with every channel copied from cox.com. Let's see what the next excuse is..