1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cox cable phone on screen display

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tvmaster2, Nov 19, 2013.

1. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    We just left AT&T for Cox Cable Telephone.

If we had a Cox set-top box, incoming phone calls display on the TV.

Cox tech support tells me that's not possible with TiVo/cable cards, and essentially said it was a TiVo problem.

Anyone want to chime in on the truthiness of that statement....not that I would doubt the Cox sales/tech staff.

2. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Cox support is correct. The Tivo boxes do not provide this feature.

IIRC, there are some threads from the Series 3 days where some users had managed to configure Caller ID display on their hacked Series 3 units.

Such a feature is theoretically possible for Tivo to implement. Ther are two questions: how much variability between cables companies is there in terms of transmitting Caller ID over IP? and is it worth Tivo's development time to implement?
  3. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    ok, thanks.

I should think hone telephony technology is pretty constant (I.e. Radio Shack doesn't sell a differently skew for ever cable companies territory), so that leaves it to TiVo.
    Why not work it in, advertise it, and give the customer one more reason to NOT choose the cable companies box
  4. JosephB

JosephB New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    The way the Cox (and other cable company) boxes work is that they have an application running on their servers which transmits any calling numbers over the cable network. Each of those implementations are proprietary.

To have "universal" caller id your TiVos would need a phone jack (which they no longer ship with as of Series 4) and then you'd need to connect your TiVo to your MTA (the box from Cox) or your landline. Given the trend of no longer having a landline, especially I suspect among the type of people who buy retail TiVos, I'm sure this isn't a priority.
  5. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    it's built in to the IPG/guide software and since tivo has the own guide it doesn't work.
  6. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    ok, thanks for the info. It's not that big a deal, but it was humorous that the Cox CSR told me what a great feature it is, all the while having my account up on the screen, and knowing full-well (geez, I hope they actually read) that I didn't have ANY Cox boxes.
    Actually, I have one hidden in the closet for Sage recordings, and sure enough it worked. Problem with that is it also burned the incoming call onto my Sage recording - DOH.