1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Court rejects Viacom's bid to throw out Cablevision bundling suit

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Johncv, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
  2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I doubt anything is going to come of this, except maybe higher prices or missing channels for CableVision subscribers.

3. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    I find irony in this statement
    Cablevision has a problem with Viacom bundling channels, yet Cablevision has no problem bundling channels in packages to it's customers (not offering a-la-carte).

4. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Before the cable or satellite companies could sell a la carte, they have to be able to buy a la carte.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There is some advantage to bundling. Bundling allows new channels to gain a foothold that they may never have the opportunity to get otherwise. I know most of the bundled channels are crap, but there are some channels we consider indispensable today that only got off the ground because they were bundled with more popular channels 10-15 years ago.

6. Jul 3, 2014 #6 of 13
    Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    We need to let the market decide, and weed out most of the crap that's out there. There are WAY too many junk channels. There's not enough bandwidth for them all, and there is just garbage on most of them.

7. Jul 4, 2014 #7 of 13
    HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Word!

8. Jul 6, 2014 #8 of 13
    Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    One man junk is another man's treasure.

9. Jul 6, 2014 #9 of 13
    spaldingclan

spaldingclan Member

Aug 22, 2012
    but how will I watch my storys?

10. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    All fun and games when the popular crap is all that is left and all the high brow people wonder where their niche channels went.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    And there would be a bunch of sports channels that would be dropped if people had to actually pay for them without being subsidized by the majority of subscribers. I would love to get rid of many of these sports channels that I don't watch, yet I have no choice but to pay for.

Especially since I just got hit with a stupid regional sports Network fee when I renewed my FiOS contract last week. It was something like $2.50 extra on the bill. For channels that I rarely, if ever, watch. I would rather save that money and not watch them at all. Even though I really don't even know for sure which channels this money goes toward.

12. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Regional sports, so it go to local sports games in your area.

13. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    The sports channels would be the last to go. They have quite a following, including ESPN. It might force them to de-bloat a bit, and get the college conference contracts out of the stratosphere, but they would still be around...