1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could Not Get Account Status

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by foolintherain, Jul 4, 2012.

1. foolintherain

foolintherain New Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Austin
    Exceedingly frustrated by my two Series 3 units not being able to connect to the Tivo network. Both units were connected fine until about three weeks ago. Repeated efforts to reconnect, including multiple calls to Tivo tech support have borne no fruit.

Both units use the Tivo wireless G adapter, although I also have an N adapter, which I am not using because I would like to sell it along with a Premiere I have in storage.

I have done the usual troubleshooting. All required ports are open. Port testing works on both units. The quick connect to the network also works, just not the full one. I also have power cycled all equipment numerous times--no dice.

The only issue I can think of at this point is my chosen form of internet access: a T-Mobile Rocket laptop stick that is connected to my Cradlepoint router. I don't see, however, why this should be an issue, given that both Tivos have connected in the past despite the intermittent speed of 4G service, which in any case is rarely below the 1.5MB threshold.

Help and thoughts appreciated.

Fred in Austin

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I assume the T-Mobile Rocket laptop stick is a mobile wireless data access device?

From the symptoms you are describing, I would suspect wireless interference of some kind. Maybe a neighbor recently got a wireless system that is operating on the same channel as your equipment?

Does your T-Mobile Rocket device allow for different channel operating frequencies?

Did you explain to TiVo that you are trying to connect through a mobile carrier device and not a "regular" internet connection?

Have you tried contacting T-Mobile support to see if they might be blocking TiVo's IP address for some reason?

Edit: Do all of your other internet dependant functions (Netflix, Pandora, Amazon VOD, etc.) still work?

Edit #2: (Longshot) If these are the original Series 3 OLED Tivos (faceplate looks like a sideways thermometer), there's a slight possibility that the power supply might be showing signs of capacitor plaque. Power supply issues can manifest in many different ways, more commonly from high draw devices like the hard drive. I would think it is rare that that could be your problem (as long as everything else works), but it wouldn't hurt for you to go ahead and eyeball the power supply capacitors. You might pre-empt further catastrophe.

Edit#3: Welcome to TiVo Community Forum!

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Edit#4: It's actually "capacitor plague, not plaque, although the failure of the electrolytic due to being an incomplete formula may, for all I know, result in the formation of some sort of plaque on the capacitor's plates.:)

As for the OP, he should try pinging the TiVos from the computer to see what happens.