1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could a small usb hub work on a mini for additional remote?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by marklyn, Jul 16, 2014.

1. marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I have a mini that sits behind a wall and one slide remote where the usb dongle plugs into the mini. Works great.
    I'd like to get an extra slide remote (wife) with another usb dongle so we both have our own remote.

Does it sound reasonable that a very small, unpowered usb hub (2-3 port) could be plugged into the mini and then both usb dongles plugged into the hub?
    Think that would work for both slide remotes?

2. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Um, I think you can pair more than one RF remote to one receiver, no?

3. marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    I've asked that question before in the forum but never received a conclusive answer. That's why I'm leaning toward buying another slide pro with USB dongle, but was hoping someone already did this.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    yes you can pair multiple remotes. I have a Slide Pro and the Roamio original remote paired to a Roamio Pro and a Roamio basic.

I remember reading somehwere that up to ten RF remotes can be paired to one Roamio.

5. marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    No, no, this is for a mini, not a Roamio.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    OK. I have not tried pairing multiple RF remotes to my Minis. I only have one Slide Pro paired to each of my Minis.

7. FitzAusTex

FitzAusTex Member

May 7, 2014
    I don't have a mini, so shouldn't even speculate, but I do have the dongle attached to my Roamio and a Slide Pro and two other Roamio remotes paired to the dongle. Pairing seems to be interactive with the dongle rather than the Roamio, so I'm betting it would work same way on mini. Put remote in pair mode (tivo+back) , hold down button on dongle for 5 seconds and watch them blink into pairing.

8. marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    Hmmm. I'm thinking on that. So you basically have 3 RF remotes tied to your Roamio. The Slide Pro (assuming) is tied to the dongle and the other two remotes are tied directly to the Roamio. Not sure if this is the same concept but I'm still trying to think it through. I think that works because the Roamio can accommodate multiple reports. If you told me you had two dongles and two slide remotes working on the Roamio, that'd give me more hope.

9. bluraven

bluraven New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    I have another roamio rf remote coming today and a mini I can test this on. Will try it and report back here tonight if someone else doesn't beat me to it :)

10. marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    So you'd have two RF remotes, both with dongles that you could plug into the mini with a small hub?

11. bluraven

bluraven New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    No, I meant I will try paring two roamio RF's on a single dongle on a mini. If that works you shouldn't need the hub or multiple dongles.

12. marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    OK, I see.
    So your mini obviously has a remote with dongle, and you're getting the remote that is just RF, no dongle. You basically will see if they can be both paired.

13. bluraven

bluraven New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Yep exactly. I had ordered an Rf remote and begged for the dongle for a mini in my bedroom. Already using an RF with no dongle on the main roamio, so now I will have two RFs and one dongle and should be able to test that and pair both to the mini with one dongle.

14. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Why do each of you need a remote?

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Me and my wife both have our own remotes. It improves TV watching because either of us can pause the TV to say something or IR if we miss something. Way back in the day we only had one remote and we always fought over who got to hold it.

16. marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    Seriously?

17. FitzAusTex

FitzAusTex Member

May 7, 2014
    :(
    no, that's not what I said. What I said is that I have three remotes paired to the dongle. I unpaired the two Roamio remotes from the Roamio, and paired them and the slide pro to the dongle simultaneously. I know they are paired to the dongle and not the Roamio because my Roamio has subpar internal RF reception, but perfect via the dongle. I have further evidence in that the green light on the dongle flashes with remote button presses for any remote paired to the dongle, but not when paired directly to the Roamio. Net, net is that I don't think you're going to need a usb hub. One quirk that I've noticed though is that I often have to reboot the Roamio after pairing with the dongle for the Roamio to recognize a new pairing to the dongle (I did this a bunch when testing the setup). This might be because the Roamio has internal rf, but who knows. What I absolutely know is that I have two Roamio and one slide pro paired to the Tivo dongle, and they work perfectly, as a matter of fact, all three "sing" when I push the remote finder button on the dongle. Hope this helps.

18. bluraven

bluraven New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    OK, I just confirmed it works. YES you can have two (or more) RF remotes paired to one dongle on a mini. There's no need for multiple dongles.

19. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts

That's what she said!

20. marklyn

marklyn New Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Austin
    Excellent! Thanks for doing this.