1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copyright Protection Hack/Workaround for Roamio and TivotoGo??

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by omelet1978, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Mar 5, 2014 #1 of 12
    omelet1978

omelet1978 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Hi,

Is there a workaround for the copyright protection. I'm coming from a series 2 to a Roamio, so this took me by surprise.

Thanks

2. Mar 5, 2014 #2 of 12
    jaredmwright

jaredmwright New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    Grab a Slingbox and don't look back. Downside is you have a slight delay navigating and it shares live TV, but you have access to everything just how the stream should be without restrictions, even onDemand.

TiVo really should loosen up the restrictions since other providers aren't as strict. They error on the cautious side to avoid upsetting the networks. Sling on the other hand is owned by Dish and doesn't care near as much.

3. Mar 9, 2014 #3 of 12
    omelet1978

omelet1978 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    I already have a slingbox. I want to transfer the videos to my computer

4. Mar 9, 2014 #4 of 12
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
  5. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    :confused: The providers are the ones that SET the restrictions. Dish owning sling has nothing to do with any restrictions that it does or doesn't have. Sling is essentially a streaming device. Streaming on Tivo also has no restrictions. You really don't know what you are talking about.

6. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    He needs to do a little research on something called the "Analog Hole" to understand how Sling circumvents copy protection schemes.

7. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    Or perhaps one might try one of these if they wish to use HDMI?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F9LVXC/

8. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Not Always....

I have suddenlink at my Cabin, and Time Warner at my home.

Time Warner cable copy protects everything on AMC, thus I CAN'T transfer Walking Dead to my computer.

However...

On Suddenlink... They do NOT copy protect AMC, and I CAN transfer Walking Dead to my computer!!!

There are many other channels on Time Warner that ALL of the the shows are Copy Protected, but those SAME channels are NOT copy protected on Suddenlink.

HBO & Starz is copy protected on BOTH Cable Providers.

TGC

9. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    HDMI out of the TiVO uses HDCP encryption. So even if he had a HDMI capture card in his computer, It would not record anything useful because of the HDCP.

However.... he could look on the internet for a device that decrypts the HDCP encryption. They are hard to come by, but are available and they cost about $300-400 bucks. Then he would need a HDMI capture card which is another $300-400 bucks.

Or he could use the analog hole, but that wouldn't be digital

TGC

10. man cave

man cave New Member

Nov 14, 2014
    TiVo streaming useless with everything being copy protected. Sad. You pay for service you can't use.

11. cwteevee

cwteevee New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Not TiVo's fault. The decision whether or not to copy protect is made by your TV provider.

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Based on their press release at CES it sounds like they may be adding a way to transfer copy protected shows to the iOS app soon. I'm guessing it's going to be via a "check out" system similar to what Comcast and DirecTV use. Basically when you transfer a show to your iPad you check it out so that it's no longer viewable on your main DVR. If you decide you want to watch it on the TV again you can check it back in which deletes it from the device and re-enables it on the DVR. So you can never watch it on multiple devices simultaneously which satisfies the "copy once" flag.