1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying shows from old Tivo to new

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Dougmeister, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Apr 7, 2014 #1 of 14
    Dougmeister

Dougmeister New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Is there no way to batch move shows directly from one Tivo to another? (i.e., more than one at a time)

I have a Premiere and am thinking about buying a Roamio. I have Tivo Desktop installed and thought I read somewhere that, once downloaded to the computer, I could "push" them to the new unit. Is that true?

So my options are:

1) Set up new Roamio and queue one show at a time (copied directly from Premiere to Roamio)

2) Copy all Premiere shows to computer, then push to Roamio with:

a) Tivo Desktop, or
    b) pytivo

Reference links:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=514434
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=508564

2. Apr 7, 2014 #2 of 14
    truman861

truman861 New Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Tampa FL
    you can do it as a batch if you are using the Tivo desktop software - to your comp at least.
    From there then it has to be a one by one going back to the tivo.
    (and hope you dont have Time Warner as they block transfers :-(

Roamio Plus (Master)
    3 Tivo Mini's (living room and kids rooms)
    3 x Premiers (retired)
    Tivo series 3 HD (retired)
    Tivo series 2 with PLS (retired)
    MoCA
    CC: Cisco PK802
    TA: Cisco STA1520
    T.W. Brighthouse Tampabay - Moving to Verizon Fios

3. Apr 7, 2014 #3 of 14
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

As far as I know, Desktop doesn't push, batch or otherwise, but it will batch pull.

You have to select each show individually from Desktop's "Pick Recordings to Transfer" page, you can't select the entire folder of a particular shows episodes on the TiVo because Desktop doesn't see those folders, just the shows.

You can toggle between date recorded and titles alphabetically on the "Pick Recordings to Transfer" page, if that helps.

But once you've selected the shows you want to copy, it's one click and they get copied in the order you selected them even it you're talking 20 or 30 shows.

4. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    Just wish there was a trick to be able to select more than one program from the recorded programs for setup to transfer from the older boxes to the Roamio. I am having to select each one and que them up on the Roamio's todo list....one at a time. Takes forever. Anyone know a trick like holding down the shift key or ctrl key on a PC?? I understand that once in the todo listing they will download one at a time...that is fine.

Why not do it like tivo.com does with moving a season pass from one tivo to another. It could just be used to setup the todo list and then all the transferring could be done one at a time like normal. The back and forth to setup the todo list for transfers is really time consuming. Tivo.com under your account can see The shows on each machine so setting up a que would be easy via the web site.

5. wpatters1229

wpatters1229 web Guy

Nov 11, 2003
    California
    Additional question: I finally setup all the transfers from my old tivo series 2 to my new roamio and can see them on the roamio todo list. Each has a single check mark next to them. But they are not transfering. If I go to try to play one just to see what it says it says that is will download shortly but it never seems to. Is there some sort of priority for transfers or something that has to be done to get them started? Is there a setting?

6. jtdan381

jtdan381 New Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Desktop Plus should allow xfer from TiVo to PC back to another TiVo box.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The priority for transfers (copies, actually) is the first one you selected starts transferring and when it finishes the second one you selected starts and so on.

Go into your main Now Playing List to see which ones have actually been copied over.

8. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    What unitron said. If you have a program transfer in progress, the blue circle on the front of your Roamio should be lit, the program should appear near the top of your To Do list with a blue circle next to it, and should appear in your My Shows list with a blue circle beside it. If you have a lot of transfers in your To Do list but none are actively transferring, that may require a little head scratching.

9. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Might try a reboot on the Roamio. Sometimes, a Tivo thinks it has a transfer in progress when it doesn't. I call it a "ghost transfer".

10. CraigThom

CraigThom Member

Sep 27, 2002
    TiVo Desktop will push, at least the Plus version. I have it set up to automatically send all videos that land in my iTunes podcast folder to my Premiere (and my series 2 before that). You may need to move your saved shows into another folder, then set TiVo Desktop to automatically transfer that folder.

11. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Also, S2 boxes will transfer fine, but slow slow slow, even though they are not HD.

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    But can Desktop Plus "push" .tivo files from the PC to a TiVo?

13. CraigThom

CraigThom Member

Sep 27, 2002
    I tested it this evening and, no, it will not. So never mind.

14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I thought not, it just lets you "publish" stuff that ain't .tivo files to the TiVo.

But the TiVo can pull them from the PC running Desktop, and you can select one show after another until you've lined up all the ones you want and it'll keep on copying 'til it finishes the list.