1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy to smaller hybrid hard drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by m_jonis, Feb 22, 2013.

1. m_jonis

m_jonis Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Albany, NY
    I've got a TivoHD. I still have the original hard drive somewhere, but it's been upgraded to a 1 TB hard drive.
    However, now I want to "downgrade" to my Seagate 750 GB hybrid drive (it's quieter, etc.)

I don't care about losing any saved data (meaning stored DVR'd shows). Can I use WinMFS tools to copy the existing 1 TB "system" stuff to the smaller drive?

If not, I'm assuming I could use the old, original drive, copy and re-expand, although it'll need a bunch of updates after that and possibly a re-pairing of the cable card (I don't remember which cable card was in what device at the time) since Time Warner pairs everything to the specific Tivo, unlike Verizon.

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You just back up your big drive than restore to the smaller drive as long it is as big or bigger than the original drive.

3. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Sorry, can't go to a smaller drive. Just copy your original drive or grab the image from one of the links you will find in this forum. Frankly, I've got my doubts about how well a hybrid drive will work with Tivo.

4. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    So close,...
    If you don't care about keeping your recorded shows or saved data then why do it this way? Why not use a fresh image, let it update and go from there?

5. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Yeah, what he said.

Really, using WinMFS it is possible. I have used WinMFS to take my expanded OLED S3 down from a 1TB back to 250GB drive. Since you have an S3 HD you should be able to do the same.