1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy Protection

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Allanon, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Allanon

Allanon Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Has anyone else noticed that certain TV shows are setting the copyright flag preventing the TiVo from transferring the show opposed to the network flagging all their shows? Today I went to transfer some shows to my living-room TiVo and found a couple had the copyright flag set. These shows were Political Animals and Warehouse 13. I know Warehouse 13 never had the copyright flag until this new season. And Political Animals is the only USA Network show that I know of that has the flag set. Hopefully this doesn't become a common practice.

2. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Didn't happen on my cable system (comcast), so it's not universal.

Latest episodes of Political Animals and Warehouse 13 are not copy protected for me.

3. Allanon

Allanon Member

Nov 2, 2005
    My cable provider is Suddenlink, hopefully this is just a fluke and won't reoccur.

4. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I've heard here, on other forums, of it happening. Fortunately, I haven't had that happen as long as I'm not trying to transfer anything from my Premieres to one of my old Series 2 machines.

When I get a movie from amazon I notice that I cannot transfer OR stream it, though.

Unfortunately, I let the guy at Tivo who sold me my Premieres talk me into upgrading one of my old Series 2 units to Lifetime, so I could use it for extra space. He lied. I was unable to transfer the stuff I was recording on my Premieres to the S2. Was pissed that, while it still works perfectly well, it is of no use to me now AND I have another $100 invested in it.

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    just out of curiosity i checked my transfer and I am able to transfer Political Animals.

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I don't know what the salesman told you, but did you really expect to able to transfer HD content directly to your TiVo 2? Assuming it's not copy protected, you could transfer it to your PC, then transfer it from the PC to your TiVo 2. You should also be able to directly transfer any non-copy protected SD recordings.

7. VNyght

VNyght New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I am a Suddenlink subscriber as well. Before this week, I never had an issue with copyright protection on any channel/program. Then some HD channels, SYFY and USA among them, were no longer authorized on my Premiere box. Suddenlink's support could not get the cablecard to pair remotely, so a tech was dispatched to replace it. Now the very same channels that would not authorize before are the ones that are setting the copyright flag on everything recorded so far.

8. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Time Warner Cable in NYC sets the copy-prevent flag on every show on every channel that isn't also a broadcast channel.

9. rrrobinsonjr

rrrobinsonjr New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern, VA
    Wow.

10. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I'm sure the only reason they don't do the broadcast channels as well is because there probably is some regulation preventing them from doing so.

11. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Hi James. My problem was that I did not know better. I didn't have HD until I replaced my S2 boxes with Premieres. So, yeah, I believed what the guy said. I guess I have to take some of the responsibility, in that regard, but I don't think it would have been too much to expect that he would know more than I.

I really don't record but maybe 1% in SD now but, yes, those would transfer.

12. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Same here for TWC in Dallas.

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner. It has been discussed at length before about how anti-customer TWC has become. ...and yes, there is a regulation that prevents them from copy protecting local channels.

Thankfully, streaming negates a lot of the annoyances, but still...

13. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Well, as I said, if they're not copy protected, you could transfer them to the PC and then from the PC to the TiVo 2. If they are copy protected, you couldn't transfer them anyway.

Of course, they won't be HD on the TiVo 2.

14. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    The issue of copy protected content is only going to escalate. I certainly don't see it going away. We need to adapt. Luckily, for every effort in copy inhibiting, there has been an equally clever way found around it... so far.:D

15. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    What "clever way around it" is there for copy protected material on a Premiere? Streaming doesn't qualify since you don't actually copy it.

16. Church AV Guy

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    What exactly are you trying to do?

I am in a VERY rural location and streaming doesn;t qualify because it simply doesn't work. I get about ten seconds of content, 30 seconds of downloading/buffering, then another ten seconds of content, and so forth.

17. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I'm talking Premiere-to-Premiere streaming, not streaming over the net. Your remote location is irrelevant. The subject under discussion is programs recorded on a TiVo being copy protected, not copy protection in general.

Programs recorded on a Premiere that are copy protected cannot be copied. Currently, the only way to view them in a different location is to stream them to another Premiere (other than some kind of remote a/v connection). My question was, what clever way around this have you found?

18. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Just a shot in the dark, but does pytivo honor the copy-protect flag?

19. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Sort of. pyTivo does detect that the program is copy protected and does not give you the option to try to transfer it and flags it with that red slashed circle, but that's because the TiVo would reject or ignore the transfer request anyway.

20. Church AV Guy

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    *I* don't have a clever workaround for this as I don't have a Premiere. I can assue you that if history is any indication, once this limitation annoys enought talented people, a clever workaround WILL be found. It might take longer than you would like.