1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Copy Protection, The DVI/HDMI output is blocked, Press EXIT to Cancel"

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by eclane, Jan 14, 2007.

1. eclane

eclane New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    What gives? This has happened four times since Friday and I never saw it before. Twice on Friday trying to record the Jamie Kennedy experience on G4 Tech TV. Now both football playoff games, one on FOX and one on CBS. The two games were set to record the HDTV network broadcasts, the Kennedy show was standard def.

I hear the audio, but this was video: text reading "Copy Protection, The DVI/HDMI output is blocked, Press EXIT to Cancel" on a black screen.

I'm confused. Cablevision cable with SA 8300 cable box connected to a Sony TIVO SVR3000 via S-video then an S-video to the TV (Sony 50A2000). Also have the TV connected directly to the cable box using a HDMI cable.

Ed

2. Mike Farrington

Mike Farrington Active Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Sounds like your cable box is putting that video signal out on all video outputs. I'd complain to your cable company. Sounds like they are setting copy protection bits when they shouldn't be.

3. eclane

eclane New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    How does the cable box know there is a TIVO attached?

Edit: It recorded the J. K. Experience earlier today with out the message :confused:

4. Mike Farrington

Mike Farrington Active Member

Nov 16, 2000
    It doesn't. That's why I said the cable company / broadcaster was sending out incorrect protection bits. Either that, or your cable box went wonky and needed a reboot. It happens.

5. wiard12

wiard12 New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    The cable box will basically block all outputs not just HDMI/DVI when this occurs. My guess is that you can avoid this by either removing the HDMI cable from your setup or use the cable company's DVR. I'm not really happy about either but I guess I can use component instead of HDMI/DVI.

I have a link to a discussion forum but I am unable to post it since this is my first post.
    Maybe this will help since I can't post the url

forum.ecoustics
    do a search on the site for the error message

6. grette

grette New Member

Jan 3, 2006
    I have the same setup and cable company. Started getting the same message last thursday. Checked the SA8300 and it does not show an OS update so why the problem started now I don't know. Every time I changed the channel or turned the TV on the message would come up. I pulled the HDMI cable and went back to the component connection.

7. eclane

eclane New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    This is still happening to the Kennedy Exp. So if I was actually home in front of the TV, i would have to press a button on the remote in order for the video to come through no matter which video connection running out of the cable box I was using?

Edit: As of 1/16 this now happens to Oprah (SD)(could be a good thing, wifes program). The 1/15 episode is fine. I'm thinking now that the HDMI signal is not blocked , but every other video output is blocked. I remember turning on the TV after work yesterday and watching the end of Oprah. It was actually quite cool, it was about working at Google. Does this make any sense?

8. Jombi122

Jombi122 New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Quite funny happened to me too - I was not recording JK Live, but it happened to be on when I turned on the TV and I had the same message on the screen - was about two weeks ago. I did reboot the S3 but only because I was doing some work where I had to unplug it and I haven't seen it happen since.

I think it must be something with the copy protection on the JK show...

9. eclane

eclane New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Just got home and turned my tv on. TIVO is recording Oprah like normal. No copy protection error, normal video between the direct connection and also watching live TV through TIVO. Now i rewind to the beginning of the program and I see the copy protection screen. I now fast forward to the point where I turned the TV on and BAM we have a picture. Oprah's fat XXX is now showing on the screen.

So from this, The cable box knows when the TV is on and receiving data. When it is off, it is throwing the copy protection screen. THIS IS B.S.

10. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    You are absolutely correct. The issue is HDCP (HD Copy Protection) if the HDMI cable is connected the device will only output a signal if the device at the other end of the cable is able to negotiate an HDCP session. Obviously the TV can't negotiate anything when it's off. The only solution with your current hardware is to use a component cable from STB to TV rather than the HDMI cable. YMMV but the difference between HDMI and component probably won't be noticeable.

This is only an issue if the broadcaster set the copy protection flag, which explains why the problem has suddenly started happening on some shows but not others.

11. eclane

eclane New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    I was/am hoping to avoid using the component cables. I really wasn't trying to record the digital signal either, only the analog coming out the S-video. I understand the reasoning behind the digital signal being copy protected, but why block the analog as well.

So what happens with a cable company's DVR when the TV's off, or do they not have any HDMI connections on those boxes yet. Also looks as if its happening to the S3 according to Jombi.

When will we see an inline adapter invented to fool the HDCP into thinking the TV's on or whatever needs to be done. I guess this is not effecting too many people yet.

12. eclane

eclane New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    FYI, this is now a full time issue. All programing is now blocked when the TV is off. Good luck to HDMI users. Cablevision says this is normal and there is nothing that can be done other then using the component cables.

Ed

13. MikeUMA

MikeUMA New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Hi guys. I'm in this thread because I'm running into the exact same error message as this thread's title.

I recently switched from DirecTV to Cablevision digital (io) service, and I've been getting that message on my setup.
    cable box = Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HD
    HDMI cable running from the cable box into my HDTV (Sharp Aquos)
    component cables running from the cable box into my Series 2 TiVo

Problem happens when we record something on the TiVo when we're not watching it. petew's earlier statement about "the TV can't negotiate anything when it's off" makes sense. I just end up recording the error message endlessly.

So it seems my option is to ditch my HDMI cable and go to component. That makes me uneasy though.
    When I do watch the TV's HD feed, how much picture quality will I lose by doing that?
    Should I use an S-Video cable, or the standard yellow component line? Is there a quality difference?

Thanks for your help.

14. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You probably won't notice going to component from HDMI. You will notice going to S-video or composite.

15. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I think you're actually refering to composite the red/white/yellow cable.
    S-Video or composite is SD (480i) only. Whether component or HDMI give you the better picture is a matter of personal opinion, it could go either way. Since component is analog the quality of the cable could affect picture quality. HDMI is digital so a bad cable will give no picture at all.

Have you thought about getting the Tivo HD?

16. MikeUMA

MikeUMA New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Yes, I meant composite, the red/white/yellow cables. Thanks for the correction.

Regarding TiVo HD, is there a model yet that comes with an integrated DVD burner? I have the Humax DRT800 with the burner and I love it.

17. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Agreed that the difference in PQ between a component (YPbPr) connection and HDMI will not be noticeable. Component connections also handle 480i/p, 720p and 1080i. Here's a link to a good article on the subject:

DVI vs. HDMI vs. Component Video -- Which is Better?

Here’s the summary:

Here's a link to a very good article about HDMI and why it may or may not always the best choice:

Connecting A Home Theater - HDMI

We have both HDMI and component outputs from TiVo directly to our HD LCD TV and optical audio to our HT. Tivo is set to 1080i fixed. For fun (easily amused :rolleyes: ) I switch between HDMI and component now and then just to see if there's a difference. Some days on some recordings I think the PQ using the component connection might be slightly better. Other days on the same recordings I could swear HDMI is the winner.

The positive thing about a component connection is that you'll never have to worry about HDCP negotiations breaking down! :up:

18. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I have a DRT 800 and love it too. But no there isn't a THD with DVD burner and I wouldn't hold your breath. there's just too many copyright issues with HD content.

19. richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    I think you're right...but if they can down-convert HD to SD for MRV as is planned, seems like they could use the same technology to off load content to a DVD. I'm always the optimist. ;)

20. JoeAmato

JoeAmato New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Long Island
    Does anyone know if this is specifically a Cabelvision <-> TiVo issue, or would I experience the same thing by switching to DirecTv or Fios?

This just started happening to me and Cabelvision is blaming my 2-year old TV....

Thanks,