1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool feature I just discovered with the IPAD app. You may already know this, but in..

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mishafp, Oct 23, 2013.

1. mishafp

mishafp New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    While I realized that the IPAD app could stream from my TIVO Roamio, I had assumed it worked like a slingbox: I would stream whatever was viewing on my TIVO. However, tonight I discovered that what I am streaming on my IPAD is not the same show as what is on my TIVO. Basically, this means that my fiance and I can watch two shows off of the TIVO (or live!) at once. Or I can watch two live NFL games at once on Sunday (one on the TIVO and one my IPAD). Maybe others already knew about this feature, but that's pretty sweet!

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yep. And if you get a Mini for a second room that can stream another show. In fact I think the limit is 8 simultaneous streams coming from a single Roamio.

3. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    last time I tried to stream with the ipad the video froze

4. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, my wife is very pleased with this feature! :D She can watch her Hallmark movies while I watch Baseball/Football/Basketball.

We are all happy ;)

5. mishafp

mishafp New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    That is interesting. Currently, I have my TIVO HDMI signal simply split between my two TVs. Is the only reason to get a mini (assuming the HDMI cord runs along the wall and is no big deal) to be able to watch two different programs on the two TVs at the same time? Any other benefits? Downsides (other than price)?

6. marinrain

marinrain New Member

Oct 30, 2001
    Corte...
    can you watch 2 simultaneously or only separately? (I have a Premiere xl4)
    thanks

7. mishafp

mishafp New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    You can watch two different shows simultaneously.

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Mini can also access a separate tuner for live TV and has all the apps, like Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, etc... so they can be watched in the other room as well.

9. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Wait. Am I understanding you correctly? You go hdmi out of a single TiVo, into a 1->2 splitter, into 2 different televisions, and can watch two different shows simultaneously? Live as well as recorded?

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Nope, that's impossible. I think that he means he can watch two different shows simultaneously by watching one on the TV and another on his iPad via the Stream. I think he had assumed that the iPad would just mirror the TV. But the Stream and the Mini can both watch their own shows from the TiVo even if it's being used by someone else. In fact the Roamio Pro/Plus supports up to 8 simultaneous streams at once.

11. dslunceford

dslunceford Active Member

Oct 19, 2000
    No. VA/D.C.
    Haven't tried, but does the TiVo app allow HDMI out? Eg: can I hook my iPad up to a TV in a hotel room and stream to that device (something I do all the time with movies on the iPad via an HDMI connector). I know the HBOGo app doesn't allow HDMI out....

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No. It doesn't allow AirPlay either.

13. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Yeah I definitely misunderstood him. The reason for my post was bc I thought it was impossible :)

Actually in iOS 7 now you can do airplay on any app.

14. Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Airplay can be turned on but the app has to support it for Airplay to work.

If a jailbreak for iOS 7 is released, then presumably, it would support Airplay for any app.

15. mishafp

mishafp New Member

Nov 7, 2006

:up:

16. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    I sit corrected! Sprry for the disinformation I'd yet to discover an app that didn't allow mirroring (didn't even realize it was possible) but sure enough the tivo app when I try to mirror to my ATV I get a mirroring not allowed message on the TV.

Like you say presumably a JB would allow it.

17. grelca

grelca New Member

Mar 11, 2013
    HBO Go lets you do HDMI out. I've used it a ton of times! They added AirPlay (and, by extension, HDMI) support almost a year ago.