1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting .tivo to .mp4

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by narbertb, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1 of 37
    narbertb

narbertb New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Hi all,

My brother has a tivo 2 series and just learned to use tivo to go to move the files to his windows system. The whole point is to be able to remove commercials and make complitation dvds of his favorite wrestlers.

So i had him take his files and dump them to a usb hard drive to give to me because he said he didn't know how to convert .mp2 to .mp4 which is what his pinnacle software likes.

I was gonna just throw em thru quicktime but the files are .tivo. Is there a simple way to convert a .tivo file to .mp4. tivodecode manager looks like a great product but i'm not at my bro's house often and he won't unplug it and bring it over so i can pull the files directly. I have a mac and he has windows and i haven't found a program like tivodecode for windows.

So back to the question what app can i use to convert .tivo to .mp4.

Thanks

2. Feb 3, 2008 #2 of 37
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If all he wants to do is burn TiVo shows to DVDs then tell him to get a copy of VideoReDo TVSuite.* With it he can open the TiVo files directly (no need to decrypt them first), quickly edit out the commercials and then save them to a DVD all from one program.

Using the process you're describing you'll be converting the TiVo files from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 then back to MPEG-2. This will not only take a significant amount of time but it will reduce the quality of the video. VideoReDo opens and edits the files in their native MPEG-2 format, so the video on the DVD is exactly the same quality as the original TiVo file. Also you can tell your brother that if he has any questions or problems using VRD to contact me directly and I will help him out. :)

Dan

* Disclaimer: I am one of the developers for VideoReDo. However I've been a user of the product longer then I've been a developer for the company, so that says something. Plus if you look around the forums and you'll see that VRD comes highly recommended by many other TiVo users as well.

3. Feb 3, 2008 #3 of 37
    narbertb

narbertb New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Lets say he recorded 2 weeks of his wrestling...

Now he wants to take all the footage of wrestler A (don't know names of any of them) from the last 2 weeks and just cut him out.

Then make a compilation dvd of just that wrestler. Will the program you're talking about do that?

I'm new to video editing myself. But mine is easy... i have an elgato eyeTV.

4. Feb 3, 2008 #4 of 37
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Absolutely! You can cut up the programs however you want.

Dan

5. kas25

kas25 New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    NJ
    Is there no easy way to edit Mpeg4 files. I only need the ability to cut off a portion in the beginning and/or end of the files.

6. pkscout

pkscout Active Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    MPEG Streamclip.

7. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    Here is another vote for VideoRedo. It also clips out commercials as well.

8. TimothyGraham

TimothyGraham New Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Does anyone know of a Mac option to convert a .tivo file to mp4?

9. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    I have Video ReDo H.264, and all I get are errors it cant open the files mpeg4 part 2, or the audio codec is unsupported. Is there a version that will open these different files? Apparently I bought the wrong version, as it only opens the files I create with Hauppauge capture box.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    We don't support MPEG-4 part 2, we only support H.264 and MPEG-2. MPEG-4 part 2 is the old code that DivX and Xvid are based on. Nobody really uses it any more. H.264 is the newer MPEG-4 part 10. Where did you get these files?

11. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Torrents of some old 60's TV shows

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Dan, the link

http://www.videoredo.com/en/Download.htm

in your comment #2 above leads to a page offering 3 products.

How about a simple explanation of how they differ from each other for those of us who don't know much more than the fact that video *can* be in some digital form?

I need to turn some .tivo files into DVDs, but not sure how much surgery I want to perform on them before putting them on the disc, and also when it comes to burning DVDs, I've only done .iso to cd so far, although I do have PCs with DVD burners.

13. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
  14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
  15. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Let's call the 3 VRD versions V1 ("plus", $50), V2 ("TV Suite, $75) and V3 (TV
    Suite H.264, $96).

V1 will edit only MPEG2 files (including TiVo files) and will NOT create DVD's.

V2 will edit only MPEG2 files and WILL create DVD's. This is probably what you need, although I can't guarantee some of the additional features of V3 might not be important or essential to your process.

V3 will edit both MPEG2 and MPEG4 H.264 files (but not the older MPEG4 Part 2, e.g. divx and xvid) files. And will make DVD's. It doesn't appear you need the H.264 capability.

V2 and V3 can make the DVD in the form of an ISO file if you prefer, which can be burned to the DVD using separate (free) software (e.g., imgburn or dvddecrypter). Or they can burn their DVD output directly to the DVD (all of which requires you to have a DVD burner drive, of course).

DVD by definition is a SD format (usually 704x480 or 720x480) that does not encompass HD. For HD formats you need to make Blu-Ray or AVCHD files, which no version of VRD will do. V2 or V3 can create a DVD from HD input files but it will automatically recode them down to DVD (SD) resolution in the process. Whether this is acceptable is your decision.

You can free-trial VRD uncrippled for 15 days if you perform the free trial registration provided in the menu system. Since you will probably eventually want to process H.264 files, I would recommend spending the extra $21 for V3.

Hope that helps and may I say it's refreshing to see an area of knowledge on this forum in which you are not an expert. :cool:

16. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Dan probably couldn't have done much better!

Many thanks.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TVSuite v4 w/H.264 also has recoding capabilities, so you can convert your .tivo files to H.264 for playback on a portable device, or just to save some space before uploading it back to your TiVo. (Premiere units support H.264 .tivo files)

18. ShayL

ShayL Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You can use kmttg.

19. slimjim867

slimjim867 New Member

Sep 20, 2005

I just tried using kmttg. It produced a .mpg file. My kindle does not recognize it. Is there a way to change the output of kmttg to mp4?

Thank you

20. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When you say

"V1 will edit only MPEG2 files (including TiVo files) and will NOT create DVD's."

does that mean that if I took out the commercials and left the show, or took out the show and left the commercials, it would still be a .tivo file, only smaller?

Or does it turn it into something that some other software, like the bundled verison of Nero, can burn to DVD and produce something playable on the average DVD player?

And when you say

"V2 will edit only MPEG2 files and WILL create DVD's. This is probably what you need, although I can't guarantee some of the additional features of V3 might not be important or essential to your process."

does that mean that it's basically V1 with added software that talks directly to my DVD burner drive so that Nero or whatever doesn't have to get involved?

And if I have, for example, 2 .tivo files, each a one hour show, and want to put both on one DVD playable in average DVD players, is a compilation like that possible?

When it comes to optical disks (cd and DVD and the various file formats and Red Books and Yellow Books and .iso files and such), I know a lot about vinyl phonograph records, turntables, magnetic cartridges, stylii, and VHS tape machines.